• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any chance for a 9.8? Which one looks better?

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I am looking to buy a book and get it encapsulated with the hopes of it being a CGC 9.8. I cannot find any 9.8's of this book anywhere and there are only three 9.8's ever slabbed by CGC. After searching through numerous websites and going to a few comic shops, the two books that are in best condition are these two. Let me know if which marks look worse, and which one I should buy and which one I should stay away from. Thanks!

Book #1 (the one I am looking to get graded is the one on the far right) 

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.441cd69e7f55287592eb9a4ca9de4ec4.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.5d3146d57aff1f683d1ef5c9e644142f.jpg

Book #2

s-l1600-3.jpg.f2bddb02a3e4c3e77a16804d2fe6d6e9.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg.0176e8cae3f138909024fce453ee157b.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg.c9bfbbb9df86526410e570017a4149b9.jpg

Okay, because you asked I don't think either has a chance at a 9.8. 

In order for there to be a chance, it's been my experience it can only have one flaw that's noticeable or one flaw you don't notice. The books shown all have at least 2 flaws. They do show some minor damage in the top and bottom corners and book in hand, there may be other things not noticed in the scan. 

Again, just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, ninanina said:

In order for there to be a chance, it's been my experience it can only have one flaw that's noticeable or one flaw you don't notice. The books shown all have at least 2 flaws. They do show some minor damage in the top and bottom corners and book in hand, there may be other things not noticed in the scan. 

Again, just my opinion. 

Fair enough. Thanks for the opinion :) 

9 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Prolly 8.5. Sorry. Back cover looks like it has book length color breaking readers crease near spine. Top and bottom of spine have a fair amount of color loss. They’re tough. 

Darn. This book is so difficult to find in a 9.8. Thought they would at least be a 9.6. Thanks for the opinion. 

6 hours ago, ninanina said:

Again, just my opinion. 

I thought a 9.8 could have up to two flaws? Maybe I'm mistaken though. 

18 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

I thought a 9.8 could have up to two flaws? Maybe I'm mistaken though. 

You are both correct, it depends on the severity of the flaws. He said it cannot have two NOTICABLE flaws, two hidden flaws that are discreet, maybe. Let me put it to you like this, if you purchased your book in a 9.8 slab, would you be happy ? Most would come here and complain about CGC's grading. I'm sorry but your book is not 9.8, better than 8.5, but not 9.8 .

36 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

8.5? That low? Also, which one is the 8.5?

The one where you posted the back cover with the apparent reader's crease running parallel to the spine.  If the paper really is broken as it appears, the comic is not in the near mint range, let alone a NM/M candidate.

Edited by namisgr

21 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are both correct, it depends on the severity of the flaws. He said it cannot have two NOTICABLE flaws, two hidden flaws that are discreet, maybe. Let me put it to you like this, if you purchased your book in a 9.8 slab, would you be happy ? Most would come here and complain about CGC's grading. I'm sorry but your book is not 9.8, better than 8.5, but not 9.8 .

AHH! This book is soo frustrating!!! I cannot for the life of me find this book in a 9.8 candidate. I've been searching for this book on eBay and none of the sellers have a 9.8 candidate. 

P.S. Book only has three 9.8's graded. If you have one. by all means, let me know :) 

Believe it or not, there are some books where a light reading crease is acceptable for a 9.4, because the vast majority of them have that same inherent flaw. However, in my world, a 9.8 must be virtually perfect, with only a miniscule amount of visible wear. Relax, take a break, and then keep looking. There are books I thought I'd never find in the condition I wanted...but I did eventually find them. :wishluck:

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Believe it or not, there are some books where a light reading crease is acceptable for a 9.4, because the vast majority of them have that same inherent flaw. However, in my world, a 9.8 must be virtually perfect, with only a miniscule amount of visible wear. Relax, take a break, and then keep looking. There are books I thought I'd never find in the condition I wanted...but I did eventually find them. :wishluck:

I'm not too worried. I'll find it eventually (and the book isn't that expensive). I just wish I had a picture of a 9.8 so I have something to go off of. This book I might have to do at my local upcoming show.

I'm reading between the lines on this thread and have it all figured out. If you find one with NO flaws or perhaps only one noticeable flaw or 2 minor noticeable flaws that would be a candidate for a 9.8. At least you now know what to look for. 

4 minutes ago, ninanina said:

I'm reading between the lines on this thread and have it all figured out. If you find one with NO flaws or perhaps only one noticeable flaw or 2 minor noticeable flaws that would be a candidate for a 9.8. At least you now know what to look for. 

Not quite, it's tough to get a 9.8 with 2 noticable flaws. I always ask myself this question when submitting 9.8 candidates. If you bought this book in a 9.8 slab, would you be happy ? 

24 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Not quite, it's tough to get a 9.8 with 2 noticable flaws. I always ask myself this question when submitting 9.8 candidates. If you bought this book in a 9.8 slab, would you be happy ? 

That's a good question to ask yourself when submitting a comic. To be honest, if I submitted one of those two books pictured above and got a 9.8, I would be a bit shocked.