• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Everett!!

73 posts in this topic

As you guy's on these boards know, from what I post,I'm a big fan of Centaur comics. "Pre- Timely". Well I just picked up at Wizard World Philly a few weeks ago one of my all time Grails. I love Bill Everett's art in the Silver age ,but I love his art esp. in the Golden Age more. His work on Sub- Mariner speaks for itself,but his work on Amazing Man is even better IMO!! His stuff on Amazing Mystery Funnies is sublime!! These books are so hard to find ,esp the early issues,as others on these boards will attest to.This has been one of my Grails for a long time. The guy who sold it to me,told me this particular issue was in the collection of the Dentist once. Not that it makes a difference, but it adds a coolness factor to it,for me. It graded a VG+. It's a solid book, tan to creamy pages , back cover is alright also,no restoration also.Bill Everett's 1st art !!"Cover" Aug. 1938.

scan0001.jpg

Issue # 1 That's Bill's 1st art ever "Cover". His 1st art otherwise is in issue # 2 which I own a copy of also ,Talk about RARE . I was Lucky to come across a copy some years ago. Bill is one of my favorite Golden Age artist also. His work into the 50's was sublime. He had a style all his own "unique". He is my fave along with, in the Golden age: Lou Fine, Schomburg, L.B. Cole,Simon & Kirby, Paul Gustavson, & Fred Guardineer!!! cloud9.gif

Just out of curiosity, does your admiration for Everett extend to non-superhero and non-scifi work? Ie, his work in "lesser" titles like Crazy or say some of the "real sports" stuff?

I'm just wondering if artist trumps material or material trumps artist, or where the happy medium is. Eg, Neal Adams work on Archie or Jerry Lewis doesn't have the same interest as Neal Adams superhero or horror.

Marc

P.S.--always loved the way Everett drew that underwater effect in those early Sub-Mariners!

Well,I appreciate his Super-Hero & Sci-Fi work the most ,but I don't exclude his other work also. Case in point , Have you seen some of his work in Alter Ego Magazine?? Alter Ego did awhile back a interview with his daughter Wendy ,& had some pictures of Postcards he used to send to his daughter in summer camp , incredible stuff , & there 's so much more that I've seen. So I guess to answer your question ,Yes IMO, The Artist in this case trumps the material!! Hey, were talking Bill Everett, one of the Giants & one of the 1st who was there in the beginning."Funnies INC." BTW Great Question?? That's why I love these boards!!

Everett's art from the late 1930s and early 1940s is certainly interesting and undeniably original. I certainly rate his work from this period among the best of the time.

amf23.jpg

His covers, I believe, are some of the most dynamic to be found.

dd1.jpg

heroic6.jpg

However, IMO, Everett's art matured into the 1950s, and his pre-code horror Atlas covers reveal a mastery that easily places him among the top-ten most accomplished comic book artists to date.

ast18.jpg

I'll definately be picking that up!! Surfer, if your reading this ,I know you'll want a copy of Sub- Mariner archives. wink.gif

Funny you should mention that, I just saw it on EBay and was going to pull the trigger on it. Since this is a Everett thread I can help myself but post this issue. My favorite 1950's Atlas cover. cloud9.gif You just feel like your under water when you look at his work.

813026001o.jpg

Jon, Atlas, Surfer, Everybody, I like to keep this thread going , what a great Golden & Silver Age Artist Everett was, & what he contibuted to the Comic Industry!! Keep posting everybody. I'm seeing some awesome books here. Here's one from my collection , low grade ,but I was lucky to find it at all. Vol.# 1 number # 2 Bill's 1st art ever inside a comic.Scarce , Rare , you decide , I've posted this before,but what the heck!!

scan0008.jpg

Thanks, Doiby!!! Jon, Atlas, Surfer, Everybody ,great books!! 893applaud-thumb.gifHere's my personal Fave . I looked hard for this one, for about 5 years , purchased this off of Ted Van Liew,"what a great Guy to deal with "a couple of years ago . He said, it was RARE & he was Lucky to get it in a collection he purchased.Lord ,knows, Bill did a lot of great covers in the Golden Age, but this is my all time Fave!!! cloud9.gif

scan0007.jpg

The Atlas stuff he did was Incredible. So many great covers . Nice book BTW!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifKeep posting everybody,there's alot of cool Everett comics out there!!

I've posted this one also before . Picked this up off of Joe Veranault, great guy about a year ago. Bill Everett's last cover to Amazing Man & art inside ,before he went to Timely ,full time. One of the best in the run in many people's opinions!!!

scan0006.jpg