• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #648 CGC 9.8 Value?

4 posts in this topic

A friend of mine owes me some money and is trying to give me this to cover it.

It is a CGC Signature graded 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #648 signed and sketch by Anthony Castrillo on 2/25/2011

What would something like this be worth? It does have some cracks on the casing, but does not seem opened. 

All help is appreciated, Thanks!

20180731_110651.jpg

Anthony Castrillo is one of the more talented artists to regularly sell his sketches (usually reproductions or cover swipes) here on the CGC boards.  Unfortunately, at some point he started to lapse in terms of honoring his commitment.  And then at some later point it became clear that he was outright committing fraud (allegedly) and became one of the more reviled people here on the CGC boards.

There are many in existence (obviously each piece of art is unique), but I think his 'bad name' has hurt the value (and rightfully so).  I would ballpark it in $100-$150 range if you get lucky in an ebay auction.  Other's with more experience or expertise might have different and/or more educated opinions, but I can't imagine anyone valuing it above $250 for any reason.  Additionally, cracks on the casing would also lower the value by probably around $25 at least.

If you want more information about Anthony Castrillo, run search in the Signature Room subforum.

If you like spidey or Green Goblin, think of it a just a nice piece of display art.  If you like art created by (alleged) criminals, then congratulations!  If you were hoping to retire or take a Vegas trip on this comic, then you have my condolences.

Otherwise, just have him run his own ebay sale of the comic and give you the cash.

Edited by revat

This is one of those things that is entirely up to the buyer to decide how much it is worth.

ASM 648 sketch covers should increase in value over the long run because there are less blank covers each year also I'm pretty sure this was the first ASM blank cover.