• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super lazy grading question

13 posts in this topic

OK so I've never sent a book in for grading I know about the online submission form.this is more a how much is it going to cost to have my fantastic four 1 graded? Link to the pgm forum with my copy.

44 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Try and sub it under the standard tier ($65).  They might bump you up to express ($100).   I don't think you'd have to go "walk-thru" level.  

You want him to submit an easily 5K book in a standard tier ? Maybe you are not aware of the current market for this book or you consider CGC an easy mark. Of course this book should go into a Walkthrough tier. OP, you can expect to pay somewhere in the 125 - 150 area for this book to be graded, not counting shipping.

36 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You want him to submit an easily 5K book in a standard tier ? Maybe you are not aware of the current market for this book or you consider CGC an easy mark. Of course this book should go into a Walkthrough tier. OP, you can expect to pay somewhere in the 125 - 150 area for this book to be graded, not counting shipping.

:bump:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

:bump:

Thanks. I hope this is not standard practice, to try and 'sneak' expensive books through the Standard Tier. I know CGC is lenient on the bump and sometimes it is difficult to decide the proper tier but this is crazy. Lion, do the graders know what tier it is submitted in ? Where in the process should this be caught ?

50 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks. I hope this is not standard practice, to try and 'sneak' expensive books through the Standard Tier. I know CGC is lenient on the bump and sometimes it is difficult to decide the proper tier but this is crazy. Lion, do the graders know what tier it is submitted in ? Where in the process should this be caught ?

Hi Bob! :foryou:  To answer your questions, yes, the graders definitely know which tier a book is submitted in. Since the books are graded in order of TAT, Walkthrough and Express submissions always take priority over Standard or Economy submissions, even though some graders may be permanently assigned to grading only Standard or Economy submissions. And the graders are usually the ones that would instigate the "bump" since they know which books are more valuable. An FF #1 would stand out like a sore thumb if it came through the Standard or Economy tier, unless it was the GRR, which would probably still be able to squeak through the Standard tier unless it was an exceptionally high grade copy. And I think you'd probably be amazed at how often folks try different strategies in an effort to "sneak" something past the graders...  (tsk)

16 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Hi Bob! :foryou:  To answer your questions, yes, the graders definitely know which tier a book is submitted in. Since the books are graded in order of TAT, Walkthrough and Express submissions always take priority over Standard or Economy submissions, even though some graders may be permanently assigned to grading only Standard or Economy submissions. And the graders are usually the ones that would instigate the "bump" since they know which books are more valuable. An FF #1 would stand out like a sore thumb if it came through the Standard or Economy tier, unless it was the GRR, which would probably still be able to squeak through the Standard tier unless it was an exceptionally high grade copy. And I think you'd probably be amazed at how often folks try different strategies in an effort to "sneak" something past the graders...  (tsk)

Good to know. I would hate to think people regularly get away with this. I don't think people realize that when you submit in a cheaper tier and get bumped, you lost out on the services of the higher tier while still paying the price.  In this case, the FF1 would be graded and out the door in one day if submitted in the Walkthrough tier. If he tries to sneak it through the Standard, he would wait his 3 weeks or so and still pay for Walkthrough.  Crazy.

Thanks guys,yeah I'm not gonna try to sneak it thru on a standard.so I have another question now,is it my understanding that I need to be an upgraded member to send this in to Florida? I only have the free account here.

2 hours ago, cortown71 said:

Thanks guys,yeah I'm not gonna try to sneak it thru on a standard.so I have another question now,is it my understanding that I need to be an upgraded member to send this in to Florida? I only have the free account here.

It sounds like you already know the answer, so what is the question ?

Screenshot (1250).png

Yes basically.but I also see this.with the premium account at $149 I get credit of $150,is this usable right away? I basically will only be submitting this one book and nothing else.wouldnt it be better for me to get the premium account then the $25 one?

Just making sure I know everything I need to about this.

Another thing is the payment is CC only.I don't have any CC.do prepaid cards work?

I'd almost rather just send it thru someone,like a lcs but alas there are none near me.

30 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

Yes basically.but I also see this.with the premium account at $149 I get credit of $150,is this usable right away? I basically will only be submitting this one book and nothing else.wouldnt it be better for me to get the premium account then the $25 one?

Just making sure I know everything I need to about this.

Another thing is the payment is CC only.I don't have any CC.do prepaid cards work?

I'd almost rather just send it thru someone,like a lcs but alas there are none near me.

Yes, the 150 is usable on your first submission. Sounds like just the right amount to use with your FF1 .You will have to ask CGC about not having a CC. I think they take checks but since the cost is sometimes a moving target, like getting a tier bump, I think they prefer CC.