• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay/GPA questions
1 1

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's an official eBay program, and works just like any other transaction within eBay. It's weird, and I don't think I've used it more than once, because I wouldn't just send an unsolicited offer to someone, but it does work, and it is official.

But I can't help you with whether or not it gets reported to GPA. I would imagine, if it shows up as a completed listing, then the answer is yes. But the buyer's e-mail raises red flags.

There are, as you know, all sorts of people who like to game the system for their advantage, and having a "low sale" for something reflected on GPA is something that some people don't want, especially if they want to flip it. That sounds like this might be the case here...?

The other possible explanation...and this happens...is that he was concerned that if you relisted it with a BIN, someone else might come along before he could see it, or you could respond, and "scoop" him. I've had that situation with buyers before, where perhaps the listing had ended, and they ask if I can relist at the price we both agreed to....I always tell them no, to go ahead and just submit that as a Best Offer, because listing at the negotiated lower price might bring someone else out of the woodwork to buy it instantly, and then you have a real hassle on your hands. 

Either scenario sounds plausible, really. Could be he just was afraid of getting scooped.

Though I hadn't seen it before, I wasn't worried about the legitimacy of the private message offer system.  I had no reason to believe such a system wouldn't have the same protections as any other ebay sale.

Your two options were the conclusions I came to as well, which is why I asked for his reasoning.  When he mentioned GPA, I felt the "getting scooped" premise flew right out the window. 

The GPA reporting issue didn't sit well with me as it felt a little like price manipulation, which is something I want no part of.  I explained why I wouldn't do it and we're still proceeding with the sale, so it wasn't a deal-breaker for him.  But given the question, I think there's a very real possibility that this book will be listed somewhere, probably ebay, for a moderate price increase in the near future.  As a seller, I made peace with this practice years ago.  I will only sell for prices that satisfy me right now.  If I do that, it doesn't matter how much someone else makes down the road.  This philosophy has made me much happier in this hobby.

For the record, I've got no issues with this guy so far.  He's got good feedback and he's very communicative.  At this point, I'm just curious about the ebay reporting to GPA issue.  @gpanalysis ?

13 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Though I hadn't seen it before, I wasn't worried about the legitimacy of the private message offer system.  I had no reason to believe such a system wouldn't have the same protections as any other ebay sale.

Your two options were the conclusions I came to as well, which is why I asked for his reasoning.  When he mentioned GPA, I felt the "getting scooped" premise flew right out the window. 

The GPA reporting issue didn't sit well with me as it felt a little like price manipulation, which is something I want no part of.  I explained why I wouldn't do it and we're still proceeding with the sale, so it wasn't a deal-breaker for him.  But given the question, I think there's a very real possibility that this book will be listed somewhere, probably ebay, for a moderate price increase in the near future.  As a seller, I made peace with this practice years ago.  I will only sell for prices that satisfy me right now.  If I do that, it doesn't matter how much someone else makes down the road.  This philosophy has made me much happier in this hobby.

For the record, I've got no issues with this guy so far.  He's got good feedback and he's very communicative.  At this point, I'm just curious about the ebay reporting to GPA issue.  @gpanalysis ?

He's probably just woke up. It's tomorrow morning over there on the other side of the world. ;)

I'd have to guess that if the sale was completed through eBay that it would get reported to GPA.

How long ago did the sale happen? eBay sales generally appear on GPA within 24-48 hours.

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I'd have to guess that if the sale was completed through eBay that it would get reported to GPA.

How long ago did the sale happen? eBay sales generally appear on GPA within 24-48 hours.

It happened last night, though payment hasn't yet been received (he's been in communication, not concerned). 

However, it went through the normal Best Offer channel, not the one via the messaging system.  I expect the accurate price will be reflected on GPA.  I'm just curious what price would have been reported to GPA had I set up the listing has he requested (original asking price, no best offer option). 

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

It happened last night, though payment hasn't yet been received (he's been in communication, not concerned). 

However, it went through the normal Best Offer channel, not the one via the messaging system.  I expect the accurate price will be reflected on GPA.  I'm just curious what price would have been reported to GPA had I set up the listing has he requested (original asking price, no best offer option). 

Sorry guys. incredibly busy here, working on our new site, so not much time to browse the boards.

The short answer: we don't know. The eBay API reports the sale price which we use and it reflects any best offers. However whether the mechanism you describe above ends up showing a slightly different price, I can't say, we're not informed if someone went through that method. Sorry I don't have any more info than that. Maybe if someone has a specific example they can send us through the details (just contact us through our website) and we can see what's showing up in API and what the seller knows happened.