• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

amazing Spider-Man 18 final page coming up on HA
2 2

97 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, glendgold said:

I've never heard this story.  You sure about this?  Even if it's true, it re-joined its brethren in time for that donation to the LoC.

crowzilla indicated in his (great) post above on the current whereabouts of all Ditko Spidey stories that one page from AF 15 had surfaced at NYC Con in 1990.  I was asking for details but haven't heard anything back.

Edited by pemart1966

13 hours ago, Timely said:

Slightly off topic, but 10 & 11 year old kids were in front of my house riding bikes wearing Wolverine & Captain American outfits. Very nice & polite kids. They started talking to my wife & 7 year old son about movies, comics & superheroes. Then the 10 year old said he liked Steve Ditko Spider-Man art!  He then quickly came up to me & shook my hand when he learned I had met Stan Lee. "I've always wanted to meet Stan Lee" he said. Quite a refreshing experience!

Turns out his dad has some comics, so I think it rubbed off a bit.

You yell at the to "get off my lawn"?  Maybe you aren't that old yet.  :baiting:

16 hours ago, glendgold said:

Thread drift, but a few of us have noticed that there are some odd inking styles in a few issues of ASM.  We know Stanton was involved early on. I have a pet theory based only on staring at the pages that when Ditko turned in ASM 38, he left Spidey uninked.  The figure looks very flat. 

That sounds very interesting, I'll have another look through ASM 38 with this in mind.  The Stanton involvement is a new one on me, also.

There's also the business of art-corrections by non-Ditko hands.  The splash page to ASM 11, for example, which features a really poor Spidey figure (the cover also had corrections to Spidey's feet, as I recall).

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

That sounds very interesting, I'll have another look through ASM 38 with this in mind.  The Stanton involvement is a new one on me, also.

There's also the business of art-corrections by non-Ditko hands.  The splash page to ASM 11, for example, which features a really poor Spidey figure (the cover also had corrections to Spidey's feet, as I recall).

It's been stated that the cover to ASM 11 had some reworking done by Kirby.  some interior rework, as well.  I don't recall if it was the splash page, or not.

On 8/15/2018 at 4:54 PM, delekkerste said:

Page wasn't from the Spidey story is my guess. Pretty much inconceivable that it would have been part of the story at the LoC. 

agreed...no possible way an AF 15 page was ever seen separated from the story. to my knowledge no one has ever seen or heard of asm #2 being out there anywhere .....YET!!!! LOL

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

agreed...no possible way an AF 15 page was ever seen separated from the story. to my knowledge no one has ever seen or heard of asm #2 being out there anywhere .....YET!!!! LOL

Possible that it was gifted by Stan to someone?  I wonder how much gifting of art WAS done?  Has anyone heard of any Marvel art that has surfaced with the provenance of having been gifted?

Edited by pemart1966

On 8/15/2018 at 5:17 PM, pemart1966 said:

crowzilla indicated in his (great) post above on the current whereabouts of all Ditko Spidey stories that one page from AF 15 had surfaced at NYC Con in 1990.  I was asking for details but haven't heard anything back.

Not me - credit that to Unca Ben, and it was definitely a very useful post.

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Possible that it was gifted by Stan to someone?  I wonder how much gifting of art WAS done?  Has anyone heard of any Marvel art that has surfaced with the provenance of having been gifted?

I have a memory of reading that Stan gave away a splash page from ASM 2.  I reconciled that with the Bechara interview with Glen Brunswick; as there are 2 stories in ASM 2 and the interview specifically mentions issue 2 featuring the Vulture.  So I figure the splash Stan gave away could have been from the Tinkerer story. (A splash that I particularly love - it's one of the nicest splashes from the early Spidey stories IMO.)

edit;  as I said, this is a memory, and could be a false one, at that.  One thing I've learned over the years (to my dismay) is that all memories are not accurate, or even true.  It's great to have independent verification.

Edited by Unca Ben

On 8/14/2018 at 6:06 AM, pemart1966 said:

The Spidey 3 pin-up is on David Mandel's CAF site and yeah, it's thought that 5 and 38 were with Ditko...

The splash for 26 is also on Mandel's CAF site.  Does he own the entire book or has it been split up?

No idea.  This was a list that was compiled and posted on the CAF forum and I just kept it for future reference.  Some of the stuff on the list can be verified (or refined) by looking at the Heritage archives and other events and interviews over the intervening years.  The original compiler of the list is a regular on CAF and he may very well be a regular over here.  I don't know. 
I added any additional info that I knew of in red.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:55 PM, pemart1966 said:

I remember reading that the unused Ditko cover for Amazing Spider-Man #10 was gifted to someone.

Spider-Man10CoverUnpublished.jpg

2 hours ago, Tony D said:

I remember reading that the unused Ditko cover for Amazing Spider-Man #10 was gifted to someone.

Spider-Man10CoverUnpublished.jpg

Has the original art for that surfaced though?  What about the original art of the unused AF 15?  Has that surfaced?

23 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Has the original art for that surfaced though?  What about the original art of the unused AF 15?  Has that surfaced?

As far as I know, the original art for the unused Amazing Spider-Man 10 is still in the possession of the person to whom it was gifted.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:24 AM, Unca Ben said:

It's been stated that the cover to ASM 11 had some reworking done by Kirby.  some interior rework, as well.  I don't recall if it was the splash page, or not.

There's been a lot of thread drift here, along with speculation that I'm not sure whether to comment on, because in a year or two there's going to be an identical thread because no one will remember this one. 

In any case, Kirby redrew the Spidey figure on the cover to ASM 10, but not 11, right? -- someone adjusted Spidey's feet in the later, but I'm not sure it was Jack. 

I don't think anyone gifted anything from ASM 2.  I've never heard of a page from that book showing up anywhere - and if Burkey hasn't heard about it, that's the guy to listen to.

The unused ASM 15 is interesting.  AFAIK, it's only been seen in stat form, but who knows! 

I haven't heard anything about Stan gifting that ASM 10 unused cover.  I don't know that it exists, but if so, cool.  Not a great cover, but anything by Ditko is always worthwhile.  (Also: Fancy Dan. What a weird concept he was.) 

I am hoping someone photoshops ice skates onto the Kingpin's feet for the ASM 60 cover, because that's the way it makes sense to me.

Edited by glendgold

Would someone kindly refresh my memory on the Spider-man 10 cover please:

1.  Why was Kirby asked to draw or redraw (whatever the case) the Spidey figure?

2.  If Ditko did initially draw the Spidey figure, is there a photo/stat of it?

There wasn't much that Kirby couldn't do but one thing he couldn't do was draw Spider-man lol

37 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Would someone kindly refresh my memory on the Spider-man 10 cover please:

1.  Why was Kirby asked to draw or redraw (whatever the case) the Spidey figure?

2.  If Ditko did initially draw the Spidey figure, is there a photo/stat of it?

There wasn't much that Kirby couldn't do but one thing he couldn't do was draw Spider-man lol

I agree that Kirby's occasional Spidey drawings left a lot to be desired.

On a separate note, I wonder if Ditko had any regrets about his design for Spidey's costume?  Must have been a monumental pain-in the-azz penciling and inking all those intricate web designs month after month.

Edited by The Voord