• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Super Heroes 13: defect or printing error?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I picked up this MSH 13 from a fellow collector.  Beautiful book at a fair price.  It has an interesting "defect" that we believed to be a printing / bindery error.  The first wrap is not attached to the bottom staple, but it doesn't look like the page was pulled from the staple by a careless reader.  If you look carefully, there's a odd bump around the area where the staple should have punched through the first page.  I didn't dare to risk pulling the page back any more to get a better view of the defect as that would have caused a cover crease.  i plan on keeping this for my personal collection as it displays great, i got it for a very decent price, and the seller and I are both collectors and had a nice conversation about the nature of the defect leading to an agreement on the price, which adds a personal touch to the book.

Anyways, the seller and I agreed that should the book be CGC'ed it would likely come back with a qualified green label as they would probably see it not as a bindery/printing error, but a defect like a staple pull.  I'm curious about the board's opinion.  What is your overall grade and would this receive a green label or blue?  Thanks for looking!

Dave

MSH13-01.jpg

MSH13-1.jpg

MSH13-2.jpg

MSH13-3.jpg

MSH13-4.jpg

MSH13-5.jpg

MSH13-6.jpg

MSH13-7.jpg

MSH13-8.jpg

MSH13-9.jpg

MSH13-10.jpg

MSH13-11.jpg

MSH13-12.jpg

MSH13-13.jpg

MSH13-14.jpg

MSH13-15 ding.jpg

MSH13-16.jpg

MSH13-17.jpg

MSH13-18.jpg

MSH13-19.jpg

MSH13-20.jpg

Looks to be in the 7.5 - 8.0 range. I agree, it doesn't look like a staple pull, but I haven't seen this kind of "production flaw" before,  so a bit clueless to if it will affect it in anyway. Really nice book though!

Edited by Gnasher

Nice pics! This flaw is actually much more common than you may think, especially on squarebound Marvels from this time period. It's really not a huge deal; it's the kind of thing CGC used to put on the label sometimes (for example: 1st wrap detached from bottom staple) but they may not even do that anymore. This book should get the Universal blue label (as long as there are no other issues) and from what I can see it looks like at least an 8.0...

Edited by The Lions Den
Added info