• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E level art

23 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Can you post an example?

Sure. I had been looking for a "cartoony" image of the Phantom Stranger by Bruce Timm without success (and no, I did not want to commission a piece). Then, I kept my eyes out for a decent cartoony image by someone else (I really like the Scribblenauts version and the Scooby-Doo riff is pretty good, too).

I saw what follows on eBay for $90.00. Burchett did the pencils, and according to provided information, he inked it separately (the published version does not have his inks). The panels are cluttered, the background is distracting, the inking is mediocre, at best, and the whole page is flat. And while we are at it, why is the Phantom Stranger grinning while Batman looks like a corpse?

It is horrible? No. Would a little kid reading a comic find it okay? Probably. For me, I might give it a C- or a D instead of an E, but it richly deserves a lousy grade. 

And yes, I would buy it again...sigh.

369105989_14Burchett_BatmanBB_I13_p5.thumb.jpg.b424ce116e01853beca854011c127e9d.jpg

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Sure. I had been looking for a "cartoony" image of the Phantom Stranger by Bruce Timm without success (and no, I did not want to commission a piece). Then, I kept my eyes out for a decent cartoony image by someone else (I really like the Scribblenauts version and the Scooby-Doo riff is pretty good, too). 

I saw what follows on eBay for $90.00. Burchett did the pencils, and according to provided information, he inked it separately (the published version does not have his inks). The panels are cluttered, the background is distracting, the inking is mediocre, at best, and the whole page is flat. And while we are at it, why is the Phantom Stranger grinning while Batman looks like a corpse? 

It is horrible? No. Would a little kid reading a comic find it okay? Probably. For me, I might give it a C- or a D instead of an E, but it richly deserves a lousy grade. 

And yes, I would buy it again...sigh. 

Great content on the page, so many robins! (Carrie!!)  but I see what you mean about Rick's inks. 

He inked the Batman and Harley digit comic last year, and it hurt my eyes to use the panel by panel guided view.  But he's a fine penciler.

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

6 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Great content on the page, so many robins! (Carrie!!)  but I see what you mean about Rick's inks. 

He inked the Batman and Harley digit comic last year, and it hurt my eyes to use the panel by panel guided view.  But he's a fine penciler.

I've seen Burchett do some very good work, too, with clean lines and layout. But, this isn't one of his better efforts. All that background "noise" is distracting, and the panels look cramped, to boot.