• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus 0 Gold Variant[!@#%^&^]

9 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on why some variants take off & other just seem to never garner much interest. I was looking at the print run of the Cerebus 0 regular edition which is listed at 15,500 by the Standard Catalog of Comic Books. The Gold edition was given out to dealers 1 for every 50 copies bought. At that rate there would only be 31 copies out there. Okay, I realize he printed more than 31, but even say 200, this would be one of the rarest books out there. Consider that the book had a flimsy cover on a really fat book & the condition on copies I have seen are less than perfect to say the least.

I see them on ebay every once in a while & they tend to go for under $10 (most the time under $5).Just curious, as I would think this book is scarcer than the Platinum edition Valiant book that has been getting so much attention lately, certainly if you factor in the fact that this book is very condition sensative compared to the almost plastic like cover on the chrome Valiants. I've also thought that it could be that no one gives a damn about Cerebus anymore, but even back when he was popular this book never received any interest. Again, is there that much more of a market for Valiants than for Cerebus?

Here's my theory:

One (the Valiant) is a true variant/printing error and was offered for sale with the rest of the print run.

The other (Cerebus 0 Gold) was a dealer promo and as such, started its life in a dealer's hands and was not a true "off the shelf" variant.

Personally, I don't collect any dealer promos or premiums, though true variants are always interesting to hunt down.

It would be 310 copies not 31 copies. 15500/50 = 310.

Sure, it's a fairly rare variant, but Cerebus 0 is all reprints. Basically, I think a variant generally has to be a marvel to be expensive. Sure, there are exceptions, but only say .01% of collectors give a damn about variants. So you need a huge collector base to make variants valuable. The only company with that kind of base is Marvel.

B.

X-O Manowar Wizard 1/2 gold was, I believe, a retailer promo. Buy a case of Wizard mags that month & get a coupon for the elusive gold logo X-O 1/2 or Lady Death 1/2, etc. Valiant completists are bidding up the values of hot books from the the bubble of 1991 to 1993.

Recall the halcyon days of summer, 1991. Platinum Spidey 1 at $1,000. Justice League 3 alternate at $100, Firestorm 61 alternate cover at $70.

The hype never lasts. The bubble never lasts.

I think there are a lot more copys out there than you think. I never sold 50 copys a month but was given a 0,also got a copy by filling out a coupon in The Comic Retailer magazine. The mailed copy also had a handsigned letter from Dave Sim,dated 10-26-93. Also think he gave some out at some trade shows that year.As for why some variants take off-here is my rule of thumb-If I have it, it gen. won't take off.

my bad. i put a link to the auctions on ebay up in the marketplace. you can check out that thread with link Right here!!

i would have done the same in ebay auction itself but i am not sure how to do that yet and as im kind of a slow typist, figured i would just hope some prospective bidders would hit the view sellers other items button at top. got lots up though, check em out.