• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel Super Heroes 13 (another one)

6 posts in this topic

Hi Boardies,

I picked up a mid grade MSH 13 a while back (actually I picked up several)  and wanted to get the Board's opinion on the grade.   It has some interesting accumulated defects that I don't see specific criteria for grading like: rusty staples that stain and slightly bleed through front and back cover, and color transfer from likely another MSH13 onto the white title.  Otherwise there is a long color breaking cover crease that's almost perfectly straight  along the length of the spine ,  a  few small color breaking creases  on the front edge of the cover, and some very minimal surface wear. Other than that, the book presents beautifully, is perfectly square bound, has sharp corners, lays completely flat, with a bright and glossy cover.  Despite the major defects, it's a structurally beautiful and eye pleasing book that looks significantly better than it's likely true grade.  Would appreciate your opinions and comments. Thanks everyone, I've really enjoyed my time here since joining recently.  

Best regards,

Dave 

20180813_225530.jpg

20180813_225307.jpg

20180813_225436.jpg

20180813_225458.jpg

20180813_225307.jpg

20180813_230231.jpg

20180813_225339.jpg

20180813_225430.jpg

20180813_225510.jpg

20180813_225625.jpg

20180813_225748.jpg

20180813_225810.jpg

I'd seek professional advice about getting those staples either cleaned or replaced before I even thought of a grade. For a BA book they're pretty far gone.  Whether you leave as is, or do something will have an affect on the grade

If the staples were ok, I'd only say a 5.5 at best, for all the reasons you stated

If only grading were about how a book catches your eye :luhv:

But seriously, as  you stated, with the defects you presented the book does not look it will get a high grade, probably mid level. 

I would definitely seek a professional/CGC representative for more information. Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts on this book.   I agree that this would never get a high grade.  I negotiated the price of the book as a VG+ due to the defects, so I'm not worried about trying to squeeze out a higher grade and price for it.  I actually bought the book because I like it as a gorgeous example of a key book 5.0 (my estimated grade).  I think the defects likely keep it out of any strict fine grade,  even FN-.  That's where i wanted experienced opinions.  I look at this particular book like a poorly kept Porsche 356: beautiful, iconic piece of history,  but likely to have a lot of rust and worn parts, and still an item worth owning if the price is right.   

Took a second look at this after analyzing several other books with major defects.  I'm modifying my previous grade based on additional research and criteria for rusty staples and rust migration found in Heritage Auctions interpretation of grading guidelines: https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

7.0 F/VF slight staple discoloration and minor rust migration allowed

6.0 (F) - 5.0 (VG/F) minor staple discoloration and minor rust migration allowed

4.0 VG staple discoloration and some (some= moderate?) rust migration allowed 

3.0 G/VG Staples may be rusted or replaced and some rust migration allowed

2.0 GD Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing and rust migration allowed

With a more objective second look, i'm downgrading this book.

Grade: 3.0 

Note: There is the possibility of CGC using its "general overall appearance and structure grade, minus any major defects = final grade" formula in overriding strict and technical Overstreet grading criteria to give a grade bump, as has been clearly demonstrated in this thread:

Edited by davet75