• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you need to put backing boards in comic bags?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, Jerkfro said:

Essential? I don't think so. If that were the case then how did all those pre-backer board (and pre-bag for that matter) high grade pedigrees, collections, warehouse finds and even single issues ever survive in such high grade?

I'll clarify my comment, I think they are essential if you are storing them upright, in a long box. If you are stacking them horizontal, as long as you treat them carefully, yes they will be fine. You are correct, many pedigree collections were stored this way, when long boxes did not exist. I assumed the OP would store his books in a long box. BTW, if stored vertically, in a long box without boards, I would prefer no bags, just raw. The books, with just a bag, tend to slide down into the box.

I guess technically you don't even need a bag.  If you have a huge temperature/humidity controlled vault INSIDE of a larger micro-chip assembly clean room with very specific light controls you could just lay each individual comic out flat on shelves without any protection whatsoever, and they would stay pristine.  And just pay your heart surgeon/butler to come in every six months to flip each comic over and do some light (but hopefully unnecessary) dusting. 

On 8/16/2018 at 11:11 PM, shadroch said:

Make a sandwich, two comics and one board per bag.

OK, that worked well, and the two comics and board fit fine in the bag. Thanks.

What do I do with the sandwich though?

On 8/17/2018 at 12:14 AM, ExNihilo said:

Unfortunately, the board is acid free only on one side.  What benefit that provides from a scientific perspective, I have no idea.  I'm just a lemming when it comes to the acid free boards.

That being said, I recently came across a wholesale dealer of BCW bags/boards that are cheaper than anything I've found online.  As others have mentioned, when you buy in bulk, the overall cost goes down.  I buy thick bags and then double board so the acid free sides face outwards.  I then place a book on either side.  This serves two benefits: 1) slight reduction in cost as you are only using one bag for 2 books, 2) it's better to store your books front to back (you don't want all the spines on the same side).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400-BCW-CURRENT-THICK-Comic-Bags-and-400-Backing-Boards/283071882534

I tried putting two boards in a bag so both sides are acid free, but it took up so much space that it was very difficult to take the books out or put them back in. Will the tightness in the bag effect the comics at all because they will be compressed? If not I will definitely start doing this

On 8/27/2018 at 1:03 AM, Not A Clone said:

You may want to reconsider only bagging/boarding your "rare" comics. You never know which modern comic that seems worthless right now may end up being the new hot book. Happens almost weekly. Ms Marvel #17, Avenging Spider-Man #9, Mighty Thor #3 (I think that's it)...all of these were $1 books pretty recently & then suddenly they shot up. If you had a 9.8 of these, they could sell for a few hundred to over a thousand dollars. 9.6s would sell, but not nearly as high. Anything under that is a tough sell because they are new & easier to find in the highest conditions. Try to take care of everything if it's possible. Best of luck! :bigsmile:

Ive got quite a few recent Marvel and The Walking Dead first appearances so hopefully you’re right!

8 hours ago, Toby_breeze said:

I tried putting two boards in a bag so both sides are acid free, but it took up so much space that it was very difficult to take the books out or put them back in. Will the tightness in the bag effect the comics at all because they will be compressed? If not I will definitely start doing this

I personally don't like the books to be too tight.  I found the standard modern/current bags I was buying were just way too tight that they ended up bending the book/backing board.  I would have to place a bunch of books or a TPB on top just to get the bag to "stretch" out as it were.  This would become especially problematic with doublesized anniversary books or the prestige format books.  This is why I switched to the thick bags (along with the minor cost savings associated with having 2 books in one bag).  Note that current bags are 6 7/8" wide whereas the thick bags are 7" wide.  You'd be surprised how much more space your books have with just that extra 1/8".

Edited by ExNihilo