• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deathblow #1 newsstand in Census as direct edition?

3 posts in this topic

I have been trying to find a nice copy of Deathblow #1 newsstand edition 5/93 1993 for a while now. I always assumed it was pretty rare since there are hardly any graded ...just one at 6.5 in the Census...and hardly any ever go up for sale on eBay. Today I do my daily search on eBay and the attached picture shows up for sale. A Deathblow newsstand edition with 1145719001 cert number. It has a strange note about the newsstand edition but it is the newsstand edition. When I verify the number it shows it as the direct edition. Now there is no way for me to tell how many real newsstands are graded as direct editions.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Deathblow # 1 Census 

Certification #: 1145719001

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by dfx1

CGC doesn't have a history of noting the Newsstand Edition for books that have the same cover price.  The Newsstand edition comment on the right side of the label is meant to help collectors who might be looking for the Newsstand Edition, but it's not a recognized variant for CGC.  Most books don't even have the comment on the label. CGC will catch up sometime, but the vast majority of retailers and dealers have inventory that is direct editions... so it's unlikely that retailers submitting to CGC are in a big hurry to have CGC point out their books are more common than the newsstand books they don't have.

11 hours ago, dfx1 said:

there is no way for me to tell how many real newsstands are graded as direct editions.

Correct. Do not take the census as an indicator of actual scarcity for Newsstand editions of any issue, even if CGC now acknowledges and separates the two versions.