• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

books you want, but will probably not get around to buying

35 posts in this topic

The beater grail thread has got me thinking - there are comics I covet but will probably never get around to buying because even a low grade copy is just too damn much money. I realize for many that the usual key books would probably be their picks - but while I appreciate their historical importance - keys don't excite me the way classic covers do. Still, I have my limits - and while I've done it once - spending even in the low 4 figures for a classic cover makes me uncomfortable.

Two books I love but am unlikely to ever own are:

Suspense #3 - when a fair copy runs a grand - I don't care how cool the cover is - I can't see myself paying the tab on a GD or better copy.

Action #2 - The best of DC's non-super heroic covers from the early GA - but being the second appearance of Superman has too much value wrapped up in an element I'm less interested in. Way out of my price range.

A book fast becoming out of range for me is Phantom Lady #17 - very hard to find even a low grade copy for less than 1K. Another borderline one is Captain America #46 - a hard to find book period - and is also in danger approaching the 1K mark even in the lowest acceptable grades.

There are somewhat cheaper books which I find myself repeatedly getting outbid on - but are still within bounds if I up what I'm willing to pay a little more one of these days (every once in a while I just bite the bullet).

I know there are some of you who can and will pay what you have to for the right book - but most of us have an upper limit that leaves some books out of reach - what are they for the rest of you?

I know there are some of you who can and will pay what you have to for the right book - but most of us have an upper limit that leaves some books out of reach - what are they for the rest of you?

The Action #1 in the possession of Dave Anderson. $2 mil is too much money for me! smirk.gif

Marvel Comics #1. Who knows maybe one day, even a rat bag 1.8 would do.

Marvel Comics #9. I might sell a bunch of my high grader books to land a mid grade copy of this book. Doesn't get any better than this cover. There was a 2.5 that recently sold for $2,600 so they are out there but that's still some decent coin for just one book. I guess I could do it but it would put a dent in other purchases for a while.

Sub-Mariner Comics #1.

Human Torch #1

Will probably own one of these one day but if I can own 3 of the 4 I'd be pretty happy.

Personal grails that are too damned much money:

Detective Comics #2 is probably forever out of my reach.

A highgrade copy of Startling Terror Tales #11 will likely never happen.

All Negro Comics probably isn't in my future.

A highgrade upgrade of my Great Comics #3 ain't gonna happen either, I'm thinkin'. At least I've got my VG- !

Detective #31 and Marvel Mystery #9 are definetly two more books that I think would be way cool to own - but too pricey to ever look for - excellent choices!

Fantastic Comics 3, dammit. Doesn't anyone know someone willing to part with a copy (unrestored, VG or better???). It doesn't look like I'll ever get my hands on one, but this is about rarity (or somebody cornering the market on them) rather than the cash.

The following in VG or better, with no resto:

Suspense 3. You do see these, but never for less than five figures.

Weird Mysteries 5 in higher than FN. Never seen one in above average shape.

Detective Comics 31. Can't argue with that one.

And books that are pipe dreams at present: Marvel Comics 1 - 5 in decent shape.

a really nice Weird Science Fantasy #29 and a Four Color #9. I would also like to pick up nice copies of Startling Comics #46 and Blonde Phantom #17 (not expensive, but I had both as a kid, and have a hard time justifying paying today's prices for them!)

I would love to own a copy of Batman #1 one day. However, in order to purchase a decent copy in VG/FN condition and better (I hate beaters), I'd have to sell a good chunk of my collection. Same thing with Superman #1.

I definitely want a copy of Phantom Lady #17 in VG/FN condition and better. I'd probably shell out a couple of grand for that book if the QP was nice. I wouldn't mind owning a copy of #23 either.

Other books would include All Winners #1, All Select #1 and Captain America #1. I just don't see myself ever purchasing these books. Spider-Man has always been my favorite character and it was like pulling teeth when I pulled the trigger and purchased my 8.0 copy of ASM#1 for $9,500. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on any other book.

All-Select #1, All Winners #1 in decent condition could be added to my list. Might add a Red Raven #1 to that list but not a major want of mine. As far as DC goes there are a few All Star issues I'd love to have. Some great cover pieces on those puppies.

National Comics #1 through 7. Uncle Sam Quarterly #1. Any of the early Police Comics with the Human Bomb...

Ibis 1 and 3.

Wonderworld Comics; any of the Lou Fine covers. The Smash Comics with Lou Fine's Ray stories...

any in F+. maybe if i win the lottery

Spider-Man has always been my favorite character and it was like pulling teeth when I pulled the trigger and purchased my 8.0 copy of ASM#1 for $9,500. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on any other book.

I'm thinking you'd have to spend around double that for a VG/F Batman #1...

Spider-Man has always been my favorite character and it was like pulling teeth when I pulled the trigger and purchased my 8.0 copy of ASM#1 for $9,500. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on any other book.

I'm thinking you'd have to spend around double that for a VG/F Batman #1...

That's why I'll probably never own one. frustrated.gif

Many Books that I would love to own are OUT of My price range already (Action #1, Superman #1).....BUT I'm still looking for the Action # 2 or #3, in low grade (good +) or restored to Fine or better, but you never see them...I would also like a low grade (Good +) Detective #26 ( has that little picture of Batman), or a low grade #28....also everybody's Favorite, good to fine copy of Phantom Lady #17. Any of the early Marvel Mystery #2 to #5, again these do not turn up to often.