• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key First Appearances: Universal or Restored?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I know this is personal opinion, but, is it better to get key issues at a universal lower grade or a restored higher grade?

Mainly asking for AF #15, Journey intoMystery #83, FF #1, and Incredible Hulk #1

The prices keep going up and this may be my last shot to acquire these key issues.

This is for personal use, but which has the most upside? Lots of lower grade keys out there, but restoration has a stigma.

Thanks,

Ed

When you say “personal use”, do you mean that you aren’t planning to resell?  I think it just boils down to what grade you want and what you would like to spend.  

As far as restored books having a stigma as you put it, who cares what anyone else thinks.  The books are for you and if you’re happy with them that’s all that matters.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling

18 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

When you say “personal use”, do you mean that you aren’t planning to resell?  I think it just boils down to what grade you want and what you would like to spend.  

As far as restored books having a stigma as you put it, who cares what anyone else thinks.  The books are for you and if you’re happy with them that’s all that matters.

I have gone slight (P) on some silver books for my collection and I enjoy them immensely. But If you buy for investment and resell id go Universal.

Really good question by the OP.  I don't think there's a magic answer, my opinion is:  Buy the best book you can afford, always favoring Universal/unrestored over PLOD/restored in the first instance.  If the book is already very expensive and you see an attractive PLOD candidate at a good price (say, 50%+ off of GPA for its Universal counterpart in the same grade), make sure it's slight resto with the least obtrusive types of resto (on one extreme, I avoid trimmed covers, but on the other extreme, slight color touch is no big deal, and is sometimes removable) and get OW or better pages.  Also, if it's a Marvel SA key and a blue label is unaffordable, try to find a PLOD with Stan Lee SS, that's always a nice designation to have on a resto book if you can find one.

Edited by zosocane

My personal preference, when in the situation of having to stretch to even afford a low grade copy, is to be patient and hunt for those very attractive low grade unrestored books, and not cross over into restored. And better yet, enjoy the hunt... Expect to pony up over gpa for the better looking examples of the grade, but you can expect the same if/when you decide to unload...the difference is they will always move very quickly.

My comment is towards silver...if you’re into gold, which I’m just now dipping my toes into, there are certain books where you simply can’t be that choosy...so it’s very situational as well.