• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby and Stan Lee Signatures

5 posts in this topic

I bought a nice SIlver-Age FF book this weekend from a guy who attended a bunch of the early comic cons and had some great pictures of himself with the likes of Kirby and Stan.  The book I bought had a great presenting sig of Stan on the cover and Kirby on the splash page.  The guy said Stan really, really liked to sign with black marker only on the cover and Kirby only liked to sign in pen on the splash page.  Is this consistent with what you guys know of these two comic icons.  I'll post up a few pictures tonight of the signatures but any early info would be great.

Before the 1990s, comic books were treated like books and most were signed on the inside. So nearly all of Kirby's sigs are on an interior page. I've seen his sigs mostly in ink marker, but also ballpoint pen and pencil. Stan Lee used to sign on the insides in ink marker or ballpoint pen before the early 1990s, but now he signs the cover with a sharpie like everyone else. 

If you want to compare your sigs to others, there're a few threads here in the forum - or try http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/signee.asp and check the various Lee and Kirby examples there. 

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Edited by eee91

17 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

That Kirby interior sig is from 25+ years ago.  That Stan sig is not. Silver Sharpie on the cover is a more recent addition.

Good point.  I do not see many silver pen sigs from Stan before 2010.  The guy I got it from has been going to Cons for awhile and also fairly recently (did not sound like he has been active in the last 10 years).  Both sigs look very good to me but the difference in age does add a wrinkle.