• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much overhang to grade

12 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

What causes overhang? Loose staples?

Covers and the interior of comics were printed separately. The interiors of comics were a few sheets of really large newsprint printed on both sides, then mechanically folded and three edges trimmed.  Then a cover slapped and stapled on. 

Quality control was only wishful thinking with vintage books. Size and alignment varied significantly in a print run and between print runs. If the book was trimmed a bit small, the cover was a too large and hangs over the edge(s) 

20 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

So if the overhang isn't a defect after the book was printed, why can't CGC grade these?

The main reason is that the book can be damaged. The overhang can curl on the top edge resulting in a very ugly looking book. Additionally,depending on how it is stored, the books own weight and gravity can result in it "sliding" down in the inner well and that edge getting crushed against the plastic. 

44 minutes ago, jzeze said:

Got an example: was graded a 3.5 universal, Joey is familiar with this book. There was a concern that CGC wouldn't grade due to the overhang. I guess they were able to pull it off.

ams2.jpg

ams22.jpg

ams23.jpg

Did they use a larger holder?

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

Did they use a larger holder?

They left more space open to right of the book where the overhang is in the holder. The book is not centered in the holder compared to others. I'll post pic when I get a chance.