• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grades and price multiples

For the same price, would you rather have two copies of a book at CGC 9.6 or just one copy at CGC 9.8?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. For the same price, would you rather have two copies of a book at CGC 9.6 or just one copy at CGC 9.8? 

• One CGC 9.8
    • Two CGC 9.6

10 posts in this topic

One thing that I've been thinking about since CGC started is the price multiplier for higher CGC grades.

It has become pretty standard that a CGC 9.8 is often two times the CGC 9.6 price, whether we're talking about 40+ year old keys or books printed last year.

The obvious question (which I rarely see discussed) is the "would you rather"... 

For the same price, would you rather have two copies of a book at CGC 9.6 or just one copy at CGC 9.8? 

I've mostly been buying up keys for my personal collection, and I've generally gone with 9.6's, especially for those where the price bump from 9.6 -> 9.8 is really large (for some books, it can be 3x / 4x the price!)

If doing for more speculative purposes, a 9.8 will be higher risk / higher reward, so I guess it depends on your conviction for that particularly book.

Only times I go for 9.8 instead of 9.6 are books where either the multiple isn't that high (maybe 1.5x the 9.6 price), or it's just not that expensive in actual dollars where it makes that big of a difference (ie. $150 vs $250)

Two copies of the 9.6 since the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is often based on the direction the wind happens to be blowing the day of grading.

3 hours ago, Pirate said:

Why are you even here if you don't like CGC?  You always seem to be negative and that's coming from myself, Mr. Negative.  At least i like graded books.

Exactly. I get that this is the best forum for comics on the internet, but there IS a subtext to all of this, and openly hating CGC or one of its aspects is at odds with that.

6 hours ago, Pirate said:

Why are you even here if you don't like CGC?  You always seem to be negative and that's coming from myself, Mr. Negative.  At least i like graded books.

Who me?  I need the resto check that CGC provides, but I don't chase after high grade.  You'll notice my username isn't "9.8Collector" :)