• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much would a (non-date) stamp affect the grade?

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking at buying this copy of ASM 33 and was wondering how much a stamp like the one shown at the top of the back cover might affect the grade? I know this isn't PGM but the book looks like it is in pretty good condition. Does it appear it could be at least a 7.0 even with this stamp?

backcover.jpg

frontcover.jpg

3333.jpg

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

That's a neatly placed stamp which doesn't detract from the overall look of the book, and since it's on the back cover it wouldn't affect my grade very much at all. A solid, attractive looking copy. 6.5 - 7.0...

I agree, the date stamp will not affect the grade. However, if that's a tear on the right edge, then 7.0 is too high for me. I would grade it 6.0/6.5 . If you are buying it as a 7.0, it's a stretch.

23 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree, the date stamp will not affect the grade. However, if that's a tear on the right edge, then 7.0 is too high for me. I would grade it 6.0/6.5 . If you are buying it as a 7.0, it's a stretch.

Right on, BB. I don't hate 7.0, but I'd probably give it the 6.5...

Edited by The Lions Den

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

Thanks all. Looks like it is indeed a tear. Seller wants $645 for this and a pretty nice copy of ASM 121, but I'm thinking if this is a 6.5 that is too much for both books. You guys saved me from making my second possibly big ASM mistake this week!

Thanks for the compliment, but IMO one of the best ways to avoid making a big mistake is to buy certified books...  :)

On 8/31/2018 at 1:35 PM, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the compliment, but IMO one of the best ways to avoid making a big mistake is to buy certified books...  :)

I've been trying to find good deals on non-certified books, because I think part of the fun is submitting them for grading, but it's just too risky to spend that kind of money on non graded books and risk a restored label or find out there is a huge tear inside. I also noticed a chip on the back cover of the copy of ASM 121 this is bundled with that I would otherwise have purchased it. Additionally, I saw the seller using the exact same picture of that ASM 121 on another auction combined with another book. Maybe he is planning to pull one of the auctions depending on which sells, but too risky. 

17 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

I've been trying to find good deals on non-certified books, because I think part of the fun is submitting them for grading, but it's just too risky to spend that kind of money on non graded books and risk a restored label or find out there is a huge tear inside. I also noticed a chip on the back cover of the copy of ASM 121 this is bundled with that I would otherwise have purchased it. Additionally, I saw the seller using the exact same picture of that ASM 121 on another auction combined with another book. Maybe he is planning to pull one of the auctions depending on which sells, but too risky. 

When I first discovered eBay back in 1998, it was a great place to buy books. It was still a relatively small community, and folks were easy to deal with. Good deals were plentiful, and there was plenty of product to choose from.

Now, 20 years later, the good deals have diminished to the point where they're almost non-existent. When there is a relatively attractive auction, the item is swarmed by potential buyers faster than a water buffalo in a river full of starving piranha. Unscrupulous characters abound---eradicating them all is virtually impossible. Like the hordes of hydra, if you cut off a limb, two more will take their place.

I still look for desirable material, but I usually come up empty-handed these days. It's either overpriced, overgraded, or both. A lot of the items I see look like they came straight from a yard sale. It really is like the wild west, my friend...and the sheriff's out of town...