• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC--How about a census update?

31 posts in this topic

Yeah, What he said.

I had the brilliant idea that since I can't track my CGC sub directly because I'm not a premie member that I'd just check the census (since I'm the only insane.gif slabbing these books anyhoo) and I could just check the grades there before I get them in the mail. Then I realized the last update was way before I even sent my books in. D'oh foreheadslap.gif

Even when they update it isn't to date. They updated after i recieved my grades for my books (phoned CGC for grades) and when i checked the census and my books haden't been added yet even though the update was after the books had been graded and encapsulated.

>> They should just have all the information in one database such

>> that the census information will automatically update itself with

>> any books that go out.

Naah, that makes WAY too much sense.

GCG's web site shows a real lack of design/thought. But, that's also true for about 90% of the web sites out there.

I'm sure it's just like a lot of other businesses with web sites. At the start, you think it's great that you simply HAVE a web site, no matter how limited it is. Then things get added topsy-turvy, and sometimes they get integrated together and sometimes not.

The census information should automatically update itself (as part of CGC's work flow for a book) and just BE current. All the time. Amazon can do it for 200 million units of inventory.

Same with grader's notes. Think of the current system -- you have to CALL a person and they look it up!! That's a process model from the 1940s. Literally.

But, CGC obviously didn't start with the idea of having grader's notes available online, and now it's a lot of work to integrate that into the system.

It mostly works though, and things are getting better (except don't get me started on turnaround time for economy). CGC has made noises about getting grader's notes online for awhile now.

CGC's business model involves receiving physical objects, and for a fee, doing something to those physical objects. Any information provided to the customer is gravy for the customer but adds nothing to their bottom line. So in that sense, it's nice that they have gone to the trouble of providing any census info at all.

gozer

Just let our IT team do it - Steve, you there? grin.gif

Dont you know--IT help is dime a dozen. At least that's what I've been told on these boards. Yet amazingly, nothing ever changes. Same as it ever was....same as it ever was...

does CGC have Six Sigma - or something similar - workflow processes in place, or are they doing things just like every other small business in the world - grabarse?

does CGC have Six Sigma - or something similar - workflow processes in place, or are they doing things just like every other small business in the world - grabarse?

confused-smiley-013.gif

All I know is that they usually put up an update before large conventions.

My guess is they don't know what Sigma Six is. smirk.gif I'm gonna go with grabarse. laugh.gif

Six Sigma is a tool to statistically evaluate cost savings, whether it is in a work system or a work practice, that was developed by GE. What would be better is a quality management system such as QS9000 or ISO9000 which helps an organization design workflows to achieve better quality results through documented organizational systems and best practices. Six Sigma can help identify deficiencies using statistally based evaluations of these work systems with the primary goal of decreasing costs without a loss in quality of results.

Six Sigma can be a bad thing, though, as it is strictly based on mathematical equations and sometimes misses the big picture. A perfect example was when Home Depot used Six Sigma to decide to cut back on it's customer service staff in it's store. Try and find help there now.... BTW, the CEO of HD who decided to do this was a former GE exec.