• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not sure if this topic has been covered already...

3 posts in this topic

...but I've noticed that sellers are increasingly including a notation indicating the centering or evenness of borders in some eBay auctions. Do other forum members feel this will have a larger effect on comic values in the future (as it currently does in the world of baseball cards) or is it less important than other condition factors?

The reason I ask this is that I've noticed some unpredictable price swings on silver age ASM issues during the past several months. One month a copy of issue X in CGC 9.4 will sell for $1,000 and the next it will retail for $600. Often in these types of cases, I'll notice a distinct difference in centering.

Also, does it bother anyone when the cover of the comic is bound in such a way that it "bleeds" over to the reverse side or when the white of the reverse can be seen along the left edge of the cover? confused.gif

does it bother anyone when the cover of the comic is bound in such a way that it "bleeds" over to the reverse side or when the white of the reverse can be seen along the left edge of the cover? confused.gif

Simply put, yes for many, no for others. Personally, cover registration is one of several features that add or subtract to the overall appeal of a book, along with cover color preservation, staple placement, cut (the "rectangularness" of it), and, of course, structure and flatness.

...but I've noticed that sellers are increasingly including a notation indicating the centering or evenness of borders in some eBay auctions. Do other forum members feel this will have a larger effect on comic values in the future (as it currently does in the world of baseball cards) or is it less important than other condition factors?

Can't speak for others but I would certainly pick a well centered book given the choice. I would pay less for an off-centered book, but I wouldn;t drive the price of a book way up simply because of the QP.

Also, does it bother anyone when the cover of the comic is bound in such a way that it "bleeds" over to the reverse side or when the white of the reverse can be seen along the left edge of the cover?

I don;t much like seeing the white of the reverse, but I don;t mind the cover wrapping over to the back a bit. It makes the front cover look more centered left to right.