• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Signing on Black Cover

6 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm going to a convention soon where I'm hoping to get signatures from artists such as Jock and Charlie Adlard, but the covers of some of the comics I'm taking are mostly black or dark. I was just wondering if this will be a  problem due to signatures usually being in black pen, or if coloured gel pens are often used on black ink. Thanks in advance!

Bring a different color pen of your own just to be sure.  But most artists usually have at least one gold or silver pen available, writers maybe not.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:31 PM, mylarsleeve said:

Do I have to worry about making sure a gold or silver pen is archival?

A lot of people have silver, gold, red, blue, etc colored sigs.  I wouldn’t worry about it.  The answer is probably that there hasn’t been enough time to reach a definitive conclusion on “metallaic” sharpies over time.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, mylarsleeve said:

Do I have to worry about making sure a gold or silver pen is archival?

A lot of people have silver, gold, red, blue, etc colored sigs.  I wouldn’t worry about it.  The answer is probably that there hasn’t been enough time to reach a definitive conclusion on “metallaic” sharpies over time.

unless you're in your early 20's, any damage done by the various pens probably won't be noticed until we're dead.  So its fine.  At least that's the position I've taken.