• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small crack in holder inside CGC slab

5 posts in this topic

New member here. I have a quick question. Just picked up my first CGC graded comic this past weekend from my buddy’s comic shop and noticed a small crack in what I’m thinking is the holder inside the slab itself. Thought it was in the slab until I rubbed my finger over it and couldn’t feel it. 

I don’t plan on selling the book and I mainly got it for show (favourite Artgerm cover), but I’m pretty picky and all I see when I look at the gorgeous book is that small crack now.

Is it normal to get small defects like this when you send a book away to be graded? What affect would a defect like this have on resale value? Like I said - not selling this one and know it really has no resale value anyways, just on a graded comic in general I mean? Is it unreasonable to ask my buddy for a new one (he sent a few in I think) or would you go through CGC over it? 

Thanks guys and look forward to participating in the forums. 

ECE460F0-52E4-4FD4-9F5E-234FA9BF08DB.jpeg

D7B622F3-1954-40A2-9DF9-BF72CCD68D7C.jpeg

Edited by Mikester71
Changed wording

Wow, surprised nobody responded to you. First off, no, this is not normal and should be fixed. It looks to me like it is a piece of plastic between the inner well and the slab. If possible, lightly tap the slab and see if you can notice it moving. I honestly have never seen a crack on the inner well but I suppose it's possible. Unfortunately, this needs to be sent back to CGC. You mentioned your buddy has several copies so I would definitely ask him to exchange this. If he is truly your buddy, I have to mention I'm surprised he handed this off to you. It's quite noticeable. Since it was submitted through your LCS, they will have to make the arrangements with CGC. So, bottom line, give it back to your buddy for either an exchange or reholder. Good Luck.

Appreciate the response, Bomber-Bob. Never even thought that it could just be a tiny piece of plastic caught up in there. Will definitely check it out in a few here. 

Waiting on a response from my comic shop buddy. Unfortunately I live up in Canada and he is over in Michigan. He’s not too far away, but I usually only head down to his shop once a month and was just there this past weekend. Don’t know if he has any 9.8’s of this particular one, but did see a bunch of lower 9.6’s and 9.4’s up on his wall while there. Hoping he has one in the back or that he can send it back for me with his next shipment, assuming it is indeed a crack. 

Anyways, thanks again and heading up to check if it is a plastic piece inside or not. 

On 9/27/2018 at 11:48 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Wow, surprised nobody responded to you. First off, no, this is not normal and should be fixed. It looks to me like it is a piece of plastic between the inner well and the slab. If possible, lightly tap the slab and see if you can notice it moving. I honestly have never seen a crack on the inner well but I suppose it's possible. Unfortunately, this needs to be sent back to CGC. You mentioned your buddy has several copies so I would definitely ask him to exchange this. If he is truly your buddy, I have to mention I'm surprised he handed this off to you. It's quite noticeable. Since it was submitted through your LCS, they will have to make the arrangements with CGC. So, bottom line, give it back to your buddy for either an exchange or reholder. Good Luck.

My buddy was going to get ahold of them later today for me. Decided to try what you said about gently tapping the side and guess what!?! Turns out it was a hair-like piece of plastic or something after all. Couldn’t be happier and just wanted to say thanks again for the response and the tip, Bob. Much appreciated 

Edited by Mikester71