• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deleted From Census?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

so, there's a good looking cgc graded book that i'm considering on CL's exchange. but, when i looked up the cert number on the CGC site it could not find it in the system. i emailed CGC and this is what they told me:

"It looks like this book was deleted from our census.  This happens when a book is resubmitted and cracked out of it's original holder.  In order to add the information back into our system, the current owner of the book would need to contact us to verify the book is still inside our holder."

i'm not really sure what this means. the holder it is in is not the newest type, it's the previous generation. would this make you wary of buying this book? i also don't believe i can contact the owner as it is on the CL exchange. 

17 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm not really sure what this means. the holder it is in is not the newest type, it's the previous generation. would this make you wary of buying this book? i also don't believe i can contact the owner as it is on the CL exchange. 

You can contact CL and have them contact the owner

The most plausible scenario is that the book was sold elsewhere and resubmitted and the owner of the CL listing has forgotten that they have the book up for sale on the exchange.

I had an instance where the person who owned a book had it reholdered while it was on the exchange and they hadn't updated the picture.  All books (without exception) I've had reholdered, since the latest case was released, have come back with a new cert # and the old one removed from the census.  While this is likely the case with your book you won't know for sure until you ask clink.  If it hasn't been reholdered then I would steer clear.

8 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I had an instance where the person who owned a book had it reholdered while it was on the exchange and they hadn't updated the picture.  All books (without exception) I've had reholdered, since the latest case was released, have come back with a new cert # and the old one removed from the census.  While this is likely the case with your book you won't know for sure until you ask clink.  If it hasn't been reholdered then I would steer clear.

this is a bit of an issue with GPAnalysis as well.  Some certs you try to lookup to determine PQ or grade date and they show up as not valid.  Could be yet another way GPA price manipulation is exploited if the book is resold under the new cert.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You can contact CL and have them contact the owner

The most plausible scenario is that the book was sold elsewhere and resubmitted and the owner of the CL listing has forgotten that they have the book up for sale on the exchange.

thank you. i have done so. knowing them and the way they cannot be bothered to even post back cover photos, i can't imagine them doing much. but i hope they do as it's a book i am actually interested in. 

i'm still not exactly sure what this means. if the book was in the CGC old holder, and then cracked out years ago and put into a newer holder, it should still appear in their census, shouldn't it? it's still in a cgc holder. 

3 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thank you. i have done so. knowing them and the way they cannot be bothered to even post back cover photos, i can't imagine them doing much. but i hope they do as it's a book i am actually interested in. 

i'm still not exactly sure what this means. if the book was in the CGC old holder, and then cracked out years ago and put into a newer holder, it should still appear in their census, shouldn't it? it's still in a cgc holder. 

In my experience, a reholder has always retained the same cert number. However, it's possible this has changed with the new style holder. If so, the new holder has a new cert number with the old cert number gone. A possible explanation is the case was cracked and Clink themselves sent it in for a new holder. You really need CLink to clear this up for you. You said you contacted them, what did they say ?

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In my experience, a reholder has always retained the same cert number. However, it's possible this has changed with the new style holder. If so, the new holder has a new cert number with the old cert number gone. A possible explanation is the case was cracked and Clink themselves sent it in for a new holder. You really need CLink to clear this up for you. You said you contacted them, what did they say ?

its not a new holder. its the previous gen holder. i just emailed them now so i await the response. 

16 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

its not a new holder. its the previous gen holder. i just emailed them now so i await the response. 

No, you are not understanding the situation correctly. The picture on Clink is the old holder. However, since that picture, the book was probably sent in to be reholdered. The picture of the book in the new holder is simply not on CLink. It may still be in transit from CGC. AGain, what did CLink say when you called them ?

Edit: My bad, I thought the book was in auction but it is on the Exchange. See my comments, different post below. This is probably a stale listing and the book is no longer available for sale.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

17 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

If the book is resubmitted and the old certificate is handed in, it's removed from the CGC census / registry but the old scan is still up.

Clink will want to clear it up because they won't want old listings up on the site if the book is no longer available.

3 hours ago, comicquant said:

While I believe the scenario you describe is probably what happened, I'm still not sure when CGC issues a new cert number on a reholder. I had this exact situation a couple months ago. Book is on CLink in an old holder. CLink mailed it in for reholder, brand new style case. However,  and I just checked, the cert number remained the same. Puzzling ?

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

so, there's a good looking cgc graded book that i'm considering on CL's exchange. but, when i looked up the cert number on the CGC site it could not find it in the system. i emailed CGC and this is what they told me:

"It looks like this book was deleted from our census.  This happens when a book is resubmitted and cracked out of it's original holder.  In order to add the information back into our system, the current owner of the book would need to contact us to verify the book is still inside our holder."

Wait a minute, I just realized you said the book is on the exchange, not in auction. When was the book listed, it should state it on the listing ? I bet this book is no longer available for sale. Clink is cluttered with old listings no longer available because the seller does not close it out.  

20 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Wait a minute, I just realized you said the book is on the exchange, not in auction. When was the book listed, it should state it on the listing ? I bet this book is no longer available for sale. Clink is cluttered with old listings no longer available because the seller does not close it out.  

it does not state on the listing when it was posted. but i imagine you guys are right and it's an old photo. i'll let you know what i hear. 

Just now, www.alexgross.com said:

it does not state on the listing when it was posted. but i imagine you guys are right and it's an old photo. i'll let you know what i hear. 

BTW, you mentioned you E-Mailed Clink. Trust me, you don't want to E-Mail them, call them. 

2 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

That's strange, Per the example pic below, the date listed has always been visible to me.

Screenshot (1306).png

43 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's strange, Per the example pic below, the date listed has always been visible to me.

Screenshot (1306).png

yeah on some books the date is visible. but on others you'll clearly see that there is not date. search the exchange for hulk 1 or journey into mystery 83 and you'll see both varieties. i have a feeling that the ones with no listing date are old ones as has been mentioned here. 

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

While I believe the scenario you describe is probably what happened, I'm still not sure when CGC issues a new cert number on a reholder. I had this exact situation a couple months ago. Book is on CLink in an old holder. CLink mailed it in for reholder, brand new style case. However,  and I just checked, the cert number remained the same. Puzzling ?

That is puzzling because every book I've had reholdered since the latest version of the case, without exception, has been assigned a new cert number with the old removed from the census.  Every time.  And I was irritated because one of the books was an old label.  Even had a book reholdered because it was in the version of the case that would get ripples in the inner well (04/2016) and may/may not cause damage to the book.  It too had a new cert#.

Edited by comicquant

12 hours ago, comicquant said:

That is puzzling because every book I've had reholdered since the latest version of the case, without exception, has been assigned a new cert number with the old removed from the census.  Every time.  And I was irritated because one of the books was an old label.  Even had a book reholdered because it was in the version of the case that would get ripples in the inner well (04/2016) and may/may not cause damage to the book.  It too had a new cert#.

Are you sure they were $11 reholders and not resubmissions in the case?

In my experience a reholder ALWAYS gets the old serial number unless the graders feel a book needs to be regarded for some reason (damage to the book , etc). Even the oldest label books would retain their serial numbers even though they were in new holders.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Are you sure they were $11 reholders and not resubmissions in the case?

In my experience a reholder ALWAYS gets the old serial number unless the graders feel a book needs to be regarded for some reason (damage to the book , etc). Even the oldest label books would retain their serial numbers even though they were in new holders.

Definitely reholders.  I’ll try to find my correspondence with cgc when I asked why the books were given new cert numbers for a reholder.  But, to reiterate, these were definitely reholders.  No question.