• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mustave on ebay. 69 signed Stan Lee items..

16 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, kav said:

Screw it-its impossible to save all the dummies out there!  

I know, but like the little girl throwing star fish stranded on the beach after a storm said in G's metaphor from the movie "Holy Man", after he said, why bother, you can't save them all, what does it matter?", she responded,  "to that one, it matters".

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

I know, but like the little girl throwing star fish stranded on the beach after a storm said in G's metaphor from the movie "Holy Man", after he said, why bother, you can't save them all, what does it matter?", she responded,  "to that one, it matters".

There's nothing we can do here.  Ebay wont lissen.  Maybe contact Stan's people.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

There's nothing we can do here.  Ebay wont lissen.  Maybe contact Stan's people.

I know. I don't make any effort to find these people, I really don't. I'm surfing along, general searches, Bronze age super-hero, ending soonest, see what's doing, and stop here to look here and there, and then PAM! There it is. A preposterous Stan Lee sig, or Jack Kirby, or, etc., etc., etc. I see what else he's got and lo and behold, lots more. So I say something, thinking that maybe someone in the market for it may use google or this forum for a critizue of that seller before buying something that may turn him off ever buying another auto or comic again. For that one person, smart enough for due diligence, just like that one star fish, it might matter. See something, say something.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

I know. I don't make any effort to find these people, I really don't. I'm surfing along, general searches, Bronze age super-hero, ending soonest, see what's doing, and stop here to look here and there, and then PAM! There it is. A preposterous Stan Lee sig, or Jack Kirby, or, etc., etc., etc. I see what else he's got and lo and behold, lots more. So I say something, thinking that maybe someone in the market for it may use google or this forum for a critizue of that seller before buying something that may turn him off ever buying another auto or comic again. For that one person, smart enough for due diligence, just like that one star fish, it might matter. See something, say something.

yep once in a while someone shows up here and says they googeled seller and thx for the warning!!!!!

4 hours ago, kav said:

yep once in a while someone shows up here and says they googeled seller and thx for the warning!!!!!

I always hope maybe that one guy who wanted to buy a Stan Lee autograph or two, to put away for his son, may do some investigating and based on this forum decide to pass, then put a little more money into a CGC yellow label witnessed signature and actually get his money's worth, rather than getting a "bargain" on something that came out of a bargain box for a dollar.

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I always hope maybe that one guy who wanted to buy a Stan Lee autograph or two, to put away for his son, may do some investigating and based on this forum decide to pass, then put a little more money into a CGC yellow label witnessed signature and actually get his money's worth, rather than getting a "bargain" on something that came out of a bargain box for a dollar.

That guy looking for a Stan Lee signed book wouldn't buy any of the crappola items these forgers have to offer. Who gets Spider-Man Doctor Octopus Out of Reach issue 5 signed? Is ridiculous stuff. If someone does buy this junk they are fools.

2 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Wow those are all just really awful. 

It's as if the forger has a vague memory of what a Stan Lee autograph looks like, and is going by that. Not to say that Stan's signature hasn't morphed over the decades. A conscientious authenticator should have a good working knowledge of a signature they're lending their expertise on, knowing which range of years could have produced a specific signature characteristic.

But I must say that at no time did the telemetry of Stan Lee's signature, the basic and common architecture that helps to identify it, ever, and I mean ever look like these.

And most damning is that all of them are alike!, obvious the horrid handywork of the same forger. And listing 69 of them is ether just plain dumb or takes one heck of a lot of:

balls.gif

1 hour ago, kav said:

He's been around for a while and on other collector's radar-hasnt hurt him though.

https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/opinion-on-uk-based-ebay-seller-mustave

Stands to reason that he'd be on the radar of collectors of autographs other than just comic related. He's got 1000+ autograph listings covering a wide range of genres and interests. With every one of his Lee signatures I looked at being pure garbage, IMO, it would be of no surprise that the rest of the inventory is his handiwork too.

Same as much of his comics chosen for forgery are of bargain box/dreck quality, a lot of his other raw material looks like it originated from thrift/second hand/Good Will shops.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-SPIDER-MAN-UK-Marvel-1977-comic-STAN-LEE-LEN-WEIN-MIKE-ESPOSITO/132522519464?hash=item1edaf52ba8:g:dFgAAOSwETJaEwkS

It's either a fractured 'n', or a pen lift between the 'n' and the 'L', neither of which Lee ever does/did.

A stop (with a curl) after the 'L', between the 'L' and the 'e', also something Stan Lee never does/did

A complete termination to the second 'e', then a lift for a separate signature underline, instead of the tail of the second 'e' underlining the name, like on every genuine Stan Lee in creation, the insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

There's also a plethora of other tells here that I won't go into. I just stated the obvious that didn't need much figuring out anyway, and even if he correct, will still leave a dozen or so other issues with his forgeries that I won't go into, some of which occurred because of the multiple forgeries in this case.

Mustave4.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCANNY-X-MEN-2003-MARVEL-comic-double-signed-STAN-LEE-PHILIP-TAN/132730591054?hash=item1ee75c174e:g:xosAAOSwczhbWu4B 

A forger who only owns 1 Black Sharpie? WTF?  All the Stan's on his signed comics, and almost everybody else for that matter, all used the same pen? Same thickness, same texture? .

Look at the 'S'. Downstroke, lift, and then upstroke. Two distinct and separate strokes to form the 'S' transition to the 't'. Never happen. And that's the least of the problems here.

Mustave5.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson