• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,135 posts in this topic

Here are three nice 1965 Marvels I picked up at the Toronto Con.

The Spider-Man was an upgrade I debated (note the three long folds on the cover...far more noticeable in the scan) but purchased as my, now, undercopy had a tape pull that bugged me a bit.

ASM30.jpg

I was happy with the Avengers as it is my earliest copy from the pre-1966 period I am interested in. I have never been a big Avengers reading fan as balancing so many diverse heroes in one title always seemed a real task for both writer and artist. So I appreciate this book for the Kirby cover and the Heck art (Ayers did a marvelous job on the inks). The GCBD lists Frank Giacoia as the inker for Kirby. I am sure they are right but it really does have a Gil Kane look to it.

Av17.jpg

This FF was probably my best purchase... sold to me from a 50% off bin as a 7.0. I wish I could buy 7.0s like this all day long... the long transverse stress line by the bottom staple is only easy to see in the scan and the colours are eyepopping. Another great and probably unappreciated Kirby cover as it seldom comes up for discussion when discussing his FF work. #47 is also the last issue for the "small print" Marvel colophon that was originally designed by Ditko back in February 1963 (Apr./May issue dates) for all the Marvel titles.

FF47.jpg

Colophon.....I just learned a new word :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Lucked out at an antique mall and picked up an Uncanny #266 in about a 9.4 for $2.25 - I am outta town in Columbus, MS and had been complaining that there wasn't any comic books in this damn town and what do ya know -

Also picked up at the same place

Uncanny #212 and #213 approx 9.2 $4 each -

Secret Wars #8 - approx 9.2 $13

That #266 was the winner - the others were just some books I needed in the run - the Secret #8 is one of those hoard books for me

Spent the day at a little comic show in New Orleans with Matt (Shiverbones). Had a blast! Connected with some friends that I haven't seen in many years. Some of which I've known since the early 80's

Nice crowd, and some decent books. I only picked up one book but it is a SA comic near and dear to my heart.

:)

daredevil1.jpg

Spent the day at a little comic show in New Orleans with Matt (Shiverbones). Had a blast! Connected with some friends that I haven't seen in many years. Some of which I've known since the early 80's

Nice crowd, and some decent books. I only picked up one book but it is a SA comic near and dear to my heart.

daredevil1.jpg

We have the same tastes.

daredevil1.jpg

Slumming it in the SA huh ? lol

Wow. nice! how about some pics!

I'll be gone most of the day but if I have time I'll scan some late tonight for this thread.

OK...here are scans of some of the garage sale books I got:

TalesofTerror1NM.jpg

TalesofTerror4NM.jpg

TwistedTales3NM-.jpg

TwistedTales7NM.jpg

XenozoicTales1NM.jpg

XenozoicTales5NM.jpg

XenozoicTales10NM.jpg

daredevil1.jpg

:applause: Congrats Bill!!

daredevil1.jpg

:applause: Congrats Bill!!

Thanks Tim :)

And Hooksie, I often have been known to slum around the SA neighborhoods. Even though GA is my primary focus, my collection is never complete without some SA goodness in it.

FOOM10.jpg

That's actually a cool cover, greggy.

Those old Foom's are great...I got this one at the LCS a couple months back.The cover was used as a poster at Carnegie(sp?) Hall for "A Night with Stan Lee". GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0012-2.jpg