• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,215 posts in this topic

Spend some money on Ebay for raw books and all will become clear (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

I was of the same opinion as yourself, why buy something you can't read? but like ckp1680 rightly says, i got sick of either sending over graded books back or selling them on for a loss, so i turned to buying cgc books.

Not all collectors are grade conscious, but a lot of us are, so cgc is a safer way to buy books, if everyone graded strictly, maybe cgc might not be as popular.

I've bought books from E-Bay...but the CGC ones are sooooo expensive that I shy away from them. I just want a copy for my collection. Not for my wall. Ah, well. To each their own I guess. It's just not for me.

Yep, I'm the same.

I was fed up of buying books that I could see were completely over-graded... I think it's this forum that awoke me fully on the faults of comic books, and now... I can spot a fault a mile away, and it's off putting to me to when I spend A LOT on a book, and not get back what was described -- people seem to have different eyes than others when examing books -- and CGC understand how to grade (hence, unless in person; the only people I will buy key raw books from are on the CGC forum). I have had too many bad ebay experiences to count.

I think CGC makes more sense for people with a focus, i.e. c-mack with his Tales of Suspense, nepatkm with his Punisher and Tomb of Dracula focus -- oh, and Bosco685 with his Hellboy (and bunch of other) focus :P -- what I'm trying to say is, I think a direction makes more sense for CGC collectors, Iron Man is my personal favourite so I try to get the best Iron Man stuff in 9.8, and signature series is really great in my opinion. It also benefits in the comics being completely unrestored, and you can check on the census to see how many exist (It's pretty cool when you have the highest graded copy or know how many others exist), and the slabs really look great with it's label and protection -- so that's a big part of it for me personally too; display purposes. The investment part just happens to be a plus with me.

Hi guys, newbie here. Well, newbie to these boards not Comics in general. I started reading these things over 40 years ago. Stopped/started many times in my life but as of a month ago..I'm back! Love Comics. Love the old stuff as well as some of the newer titles.

I just had one question, and most of you guys may rip me for it. But what is the fascination with CGC Comics? Other than making a profit I can't see why anyone would want something that you can never get your hands on to read. I enjoy opening up the Book, reading it, poring over the ads, everything. To me I just have no interest in CGC'd books. Okay...fire away!

+1 (thumbs u

I was of the same opinion as yourself, why buy something you can't read? but like ckp1680 rightly says, i got sick of either sending over graded books back or selling them on for a loss, so i turned to buying cgc books.

Not all collectors are grade conscious, but a lot of us are, so cgc is a safer way to buy books, if everyone graded strictly, maybe cgc might not be as popular.

Edited by LloydJBailey

+1 (thumbs u

I've bought books from E-Bay...but the CGC ones are sooooo expensive that I shy away from them. I just want a copy for my collection. Not for my wall. Ah, well. To each their own I guess. It's just not for me.

I'm with you man. I had an infatuation with CGC comics for a couple months when I first learned about them, but it didn't last. I've since bought a couple, all higher priced comics, because of the resto check. But I almost always break them free. I personally think it's too expensive for the service, but that's just me. As some have said, the resto check is great, but do you really need to have modern comics checked?

Actually, another good thing about them is the PLOD. Comics that they've found to have restoration, even super minor restoration that can be professionally removed, are a fraction of the unrestored price. I got a graded Flash 105 with removable restoration for about 1/3 of Overstreet.

But to each his own. If you live graded comics, more power to you.

Different people collect different things. Like you I avoid CGC slabbed books except the scattered CGC signature series books. My collection is besides SS books is 100% for reading.

One thing I learned over the years is to appreciate what everyone collects but to collect what I like and enjoy. I don't get influenced (much) by other people and what they collect. I stick to that basic rule and I enjoy collecting. However I love reading and looking at the post here about other peoples collections and thoughts on comics.

Just think of it this way, some people like Blondes some like red heads etc...comics are no different. People have different taste, that is what makes this hobby so great.

Hi guys, newbie here. Well, newbie to these boards not Comics in general. I started reading these things over 40 years ago. Stopped/started many times in my life but as of a month ago..I'm back! Love Comics. Love the old stuff as well as some of the newer titles.

I just had one question, and most of you guys may rip me for it. But what is the fascination with CGC Comics? Other than making a profit I can't see why anyone would want something that you can never get your hands on to read. I enjoy opening up the Book, reading it, poring over the ads, everything. To me I just have no interest in CGC'd books. Okay...fire away!

Edited by kidcolt

sorry for derailing this general discussion thead by actually posting a book or two that was from this week in my collection but here are two spectacular books that arrived today

a simply great looking Cap America 123

comic002-3.jpg

and a wonderful copy of the famous Neal Adams cover

comic001-5.jpg

I love that Captain America book :applause:

your fine taste in comic books coming through again MFG

Why thank you <3

Out of all the Superman covers I've seen I like the Action Comics #419 the best for some reason hm

But I really like your Captain America book (thumbs u