• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,150 posts in this topic

Stopped by my LCS on my lunch break, and picked up another book missing from my checklist. KUDOS to AlexH for hooking me up....and Doug ('comic manager' on these boards) for making the exchange. grin.gif

PP98sigseries.jpg

The art was sold at Sothebys in the 90's. There's a comic auction catalog with that cover art on it.

That's interesting to hear as I've heard Frazetta keeps most of his original artwork.

Any idea what it sold for?

Just picked this up, a not a comic alas (a movie mag) I know... crazy.gif

But this wrap-around Frazetta cover is awesome! cloud9.gif

864097-Monsterscene%232Spread.jpg

Looks like Frazetta drew his inspiration from these Warren covers (or perhaps vice versa). The 15 I just got last week, so it fits the theme of the thread as well. grin.gif

CR15.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

eeire5.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The art was sold at Sothebys in the 90's. There's a comic auction catalog with that cover art on it.

That's interesting to hear as I've heard Frazetta keeps most of his original artwork.

Any idea what it sold for?

I'm not sure if it sold or not. The estimate was $80,000 - $100,000.

It was the 1996 Sotheby's Comic & Comic Art Auction (Sale #6872). If you only buy ONE comic auction catalog, buy this one.

ZLR03036872AN.jpg

It includes (among other things), the original cover art for Mask Comics #1 & #2, Hit Comics #5, Zap #1, Hawkman #1, Brave & Bold #61, title splash for TOS #39. Frazetta pieces include concept cover art for Vampirella #1, cover art for Famous Funnies #209, Tim Holt #17, and this oil painting "Savage World".

Looks like Frazetta drew his inspiration from these Warren covers (or perhaps vice versa). The 15 I just got last week, so it fits the theme of the thread as well. grin.gif

The Monster Mania # 2 is from 1967 so I believe it predates the Creepy covers.

The cover to Creepy # 15 is one of my personal favorites from Frazetta. Years ago I saw this art at his museum in East Stroudsburg, PA and I always wondered how he painted that brown texture that is the background. While I was scrutinizing the painting his wife came up and told me a breif story how Frank was behind schedual on a cover for this issue of Warren's Creepy magazine with the deadline due in the morning. Frank was out of illustration board so she tells me he ran down to their cellar and cut a square hunk of masonite from their ceiling to paint this on! And that is what the background is on this cover, just the bare brown of the masonite with a very thin layer of oils on top.

The Monster Mania # 2 is from 1967 so I believe it predates the Creepy covers.

The cover to Creepy # 15 is one of my personal favorites from Frazetta. Years ago I saw this art at his museum in East Stroudsburg, PA and I always wondered how he painted that brown texture that is the background. While I was scrutinizing the painting his wife came up and told me a breif story how Frank was behind schedual on a cover for this issue of Warren's Creepy magazine with the deadline due in the morning. Frank was out of illustration board so she tells me he ran down to their cellar and cut a square hunk of masonite from their ceiling to paint this on! And that is what the background is on this cover, just the bare brown of the masonite with a very thin layer of oils on top.

27_laughing.gif Great story! That guy had/has such an absolutely insane talent. Not only did he do most of the paintings in a single night, they were done on a canvas not much larger than the printed magazine covers! hail.gif

nice books, Sid! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Sterl, I have to say that late Silver/early Bronze Batman rivals my interest in BA horror. I'm getting really pumped on Batman again, and no, not from the movie as I am one of the few that didn't care for it.

Were those the books from England? They look nice. thumbsup2.gif Did it work out to be a good deal even with the craapy exchange rate?

Yes, they were a bit better than expected actually. The seller graded the #359 at 6.5 due to some tracing around Batgirl. But that tracing is extremely light and not even noticable unless looking right at it at an angle. I'd grade it a 7.0. Yeah, this first overseas Ebay purchase for me worked out quite nice. Also bought a 'tec #363 from the same guy but I already have a few copies of that issue (2nd B-girl).