• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,135 posts in this topic

Two questions:

1) What indicates that the comic is a 'Stan Lee File Copy'

2) How do you determine the value of such a comic?

The Stan Lee File Copies came with a certificate - that would be the only indicator, as they vary wildly in grades and defects.

The market dictates the value - although for research purposes you could try completed ebay and Heritage auctions to get an idea of what sort of premiums are expected for each book.

Two questions:

1) What indicates that the comic is a 'Stan Lee File Copy'

2) How do you determine the value of such a comic?

Not sure what you mean by indicates. Its there on the slab. =) But if you are asking what 'Stan Lee File Copy' means, well, it means the book was one of Stan Lee's personal copies. He kept and used them frequently as reference material, so its the rare book that is ever in high grade. The entire collection (I think) was sold by Heritage in two chunks in 2002 (or 2003). All the books were first CGCed before they were sold.

With these books in particular, its hard to really figure value. I got that for less than the cost of slabbing it. Its a low grade book that would normally sell for $3 without the slab or the provenance. I just wanted a book that Stan Lee had. =) I didn't need it for my pedigreed run cause I have the Northland 28.

Not sure what you mean by indicates. Its there on the slab. =) But if you are asking what 'Stan Lee File Copy' means, well, it means the book was one of Stan Lee's personal copies. He kept and used them frequently as reference material, so its the rare book that is ever in high grade. The entire collection (I think) was sold by Heritage in two chunks in 2002 (or 2003). All the books were first CGCed before they were sold.

My thinking was, "If you pick up a raw comic, how would you possibly know if it was a Stan Lee file copy?", but your post answers my question, that they were all slabbed before they were sold for the first time. So I assume that means every Stan Lee file copy is in a slab, unless someone cracked it out, which wouldn't be too smart.

My thinking was, "If you pick up a raw comic, how would you possibly know if it was a Stan Lee file copy?", but your post answers my question, that they were all slabbed before they were sold for the first time. So I assume that means every Stan Lee file copy is in a slab, unless someone cracked it out, which wouldn't be too smart.

Hehe, actually, I'm still not certain whether I'm going to crack that out or not. Its not a pricey book, and I'll still have record of the sale (printed out, pictures of it in the slab even if necessary) and the CGC label to go with it. *I* know its a File Copy!

The only slabs I have until that one shows up in the mail are Spideys, but I have a nice run of OO Furys in an acid free box waiting for that one to be added to it. =)

Why is this thread now in Original Comic Art Forum? confused-smiley-013.gif

In the last week or so I got more TOS books for my mid-grade run.

67, 70, 86, 87, 95, 97 from eBay seller sorent23 [very good grading]

and 62, 66, 69, 81, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 96 from Fuelman [also, well graded wink.gif]

hey all, just purchased this over the weekend, I almost went for a 9.6 copy, but it was $300 more than this 9.4 copy, plus this one had white pages, cloud9.gif the 9.6 copy had off-white-white...this is probably my favorite Joker cover, I love the way Neal Adams draws the Joker...and the whole cover dynamic is very cool...

batman251.jpg

Last Friday I got a book in the mail that I'd ordered from newkadia.com - MTIO Annual #2, which leaves me just ONE book short of owning and being able to read the entire 107-issue run of that title.

hey all, just purchased this over the weekend, I almost went for a 9.6 copy, but it was $300 more than this 9.4 copy, plus this one had white pages, cloud9.gif the 9.6 copy had off-white-white...this is probably my favorite Joker cover, I love the way Neal Adams draws the Joker...and the whole cover dynamic is very cool...

batman251.jpg

Beautiful copy of one of the best Batman books ever! thumbsup2.gif

This issue of FF has always been a favorite of mine. I remember having a really busted up copy as a teen. I've been looking for a decent copy at a reasonable price for quite some time now. Hopefully I wont get in trouble for posting a pgx copy in here.

RCSMU-ff28.jpgtakeit.gif