• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,136 posts in this topic

I found what I'll call a great deal from my LCS this evening.

A copy of Katy Keene #1 in G or better for $25.

The pages are nice, no writing inside, all there, no cut-outs.

The store had it marked at Poor. I don't know what they were smoking.

The major defects include a tiny spine split at the bottom, a piece of tape on the bottom used from long ago to reinforce and the inking on the E in Keene as can be seen on the cover.

Nothing else to speak of.

921365-ComicBook0470.JPG.bccbcd715db9e35ee060fe682b994ce6.JPG

I went to a huge local fleamarket this weekend and picked up a few odds and ends. I came across this and the cover just grabbed me, seriously one of the coolest I have ever seen. It's a magazine from 1953, not a comic, but I thought you guys would enjoy seeing it. The back cover has some small stains, and the staples are a bit rusty, but the front cover looks so nice and bright I thought it was a reprint at first (OW/W pages too). Anyway, for $5 how can you go wrong? grin.gif By the way, if anyone knows anything about magazines like this, please PM me...

actionmag.jpg

I went to a huge local fleamarket this weekend and picked up a few odds and ends. I came across this and the cover just grabbed me, seriously one of the coolest I have ever seen. It's a magazine from 1953, not a comic, but I thought you guys would enjoy seeing it. The back cover has some small stains, and the staples are a bit rusty, but the front cover looks so nice and bright I thought it was a reprint at first (OW/W pages too). Anyway, for $5 how can you go wrong? grin.gif By the way, if anyone knows anything about magazines like this, please PM me...

Maybe of general enough interest not to PM

Cool cover. It's probably one of the "sweat magazines" of one of the comic-book publishers. (i.e., the stuff they were really making money on.)

I'm no expert, but I found this.

http://www.philsp.com/data/data003.html

Action [1953]

Total Issues: 6?

Issues & Index Sources: Mar-1953 – Dec-1953?

Publishers: Picture Magazines, Inc.

Sources: MansWorld

A couple of attempts to figure out whether it was one of Martin Goodman's failed. There's a way-way outside chance that it's Harvey related, based on finding "Harvey Picture Magazines, Inc." listed here.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8580/kefauver.html

Is there an address in the indicia?

"Doc V" (Michael Vassallo) would know whether it's one of Goodman's.

Michael Feldman might know regardless.

Are you on any forums with them? I could forward the question.

Jack

Thanks for the info. thumbsup2.gif I know nothing about this type of magazine, I only bought it because it was cheap and the cover was beautiful. Here is the address in the indicia:

21 West 26th Street

New York, NY

This one is number 5, volume 1; October 1953.

I am not on any forums dealing with magazines of this type, in fact I didn't know they even existed. If you could pass along my questions, that would be great. Do you know how rare or expensive magazines of this type are? If they are relatively cheap I would love to get more...

By the way, the interior features some pretty racist content. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the info. thumbsup2.gif I know nothing about this type of magazine, I only bought it because it was cheap and the cover was beautiful. Here is the address in the indicia:

21 West 26th Street

New York, NY

This one is number 5, volume 1; October 1953.

That should be an essential detail in tracking down the publisher.

I am not on any forums dealing with magazines of this type, in fact I didn't know they even existed.

You don't think Martin Goodman made most of his money on funnybooks, do you?

That's why he could afford to almost let "Atlas" go under in the late 50s. He would have missed the pocket change though.

If you could pass along my questions, that would be great. Do you know how rare or expensive magazines of this type are? If they are relatively cheap I would love to get more...

I'm not on any magazine forums, but the timely-atlas group usually has answers to all kinds of publishing questions.

By the way, the interior features some pretty racist content. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't suppose there's any sex or violence?

Jack

I am not on any forums dealing with magazines of this type, in fact I didn't know they even existed.

You don't think Martin Goodman made most of his money on funnybooks, do you?

That's why he could afford to almost let "Atlas" go under in the late 50s. He would have missed the pocket change though.

27_laughing.gif No, I meant I didn't know forums dealing with these magazine existed.

If you could pass along my questions, that would be great. Do you know how rare or expensive magazines of this type are? If they are relatively cheap I would love to get more...

I'm not on any magazine forums, but the timely-atlas group usually has answers to all kinds of publishing questions.

I will check it out. thumbsup2.gif Do you know of any active magazine forums?

I don't suppose there's any sex or violence?

Jack

There is some pretty bizarre stuff. Just flipping through it, there is an article on the sex life of 50's women, a piece called "I was eaten by a giant devilfish" with pictures, "I walked the plank" about modern pirates in the South China Sea, and a story about horse jockeys who get killed. 27_laughing.gif

No, I meant I didn't know forums dealing with these magazine existed.

I sorta knew that but couldn't resist the Goodman jab.

If you could pass along my questions, that would be great.

Done.

Do you know how rare or expensive magazines of this type are? If they are relatively cheap I would love to get more...

I think they're hard to find mostly because of low interest but not very expensive. I've never hunted for them but I have a couple bought in ebay lots (I think).

...Do you know of any active magazine forums?

No, but I'd imagine they're out there. I can't possibly join another group so refuse to look! These probably get lumped in with "pulps" whether they are or not.

There is some pretty bizarre stuff. Just flipping through it, there is an article on the sex life of 50's women, a piece called "I was eaten by a giant devilfish" with pictures, "I walked the plank" about modern pirates in the South China Sea, and a story about horse jockeys who get killed. 27_laughing.gif

Could be Goodman!

Jack

My LCS had a sale last weekend. That's about 175 Bronze Age Marvels.

920857-books.jpg

wow, bulky buying...care to share what you've got?! wink.gif

regards

Just a bunch of misc. stuff to fill holes -- nothing really special. That batch leaves me with just under 450 books to go to finish off the Marvel Bronze Age.