• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's hard to find VF and above?

62 posts in this topic

Just curious what you've found difficult to find in VF and above. I know no Silver Age is "Rare" or "Scarce",..just difficult at times.

Journey into Mystery (#84, 90) , Strange Tales (# 116-125)? Some Strange Adventures featuring the Atomic Knights (? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif).

Any observations? popcorn.gif

hi.gif

The JIM 84 is very tough - the only encapsulated copy in VF or better I know of for sale over the past five years is the NM copy on the Pedigree site (the highest graded). FF 3, Hulk 1, Rawhide Kid 17 (only a single 8.0 as top census copy) and ST101 are tough as well.

For the Distinguished Competition, the Showcase Green Lanterns, and for that matter, any ten cent DC Superhero book from the late fifties.

, and for that matter, any ten cent DC Superhero book from the late fifties.

Yep. Even the mainstays are suprisingly tough. 10 cent Batmans and Supermans in strict VF impress the hell out of me.

The JIM 84 is very tough - the only encapsulated copy in VF or better I know of for sale over the past five years is the NM copy on the Pedigree site (the highest graded). FF 3, Hulk 1, Rawhide Kid 17 (only a single 8.0 as top census copy) and ST101 are tough as well.

For the Distinguished Competition, the Showcase Green Lanterns, and for that matter, any ten cent DC Superhero book from the late fifties.

Thanks Namisgr,

I might add that, to me, many of the Marvel Comics from the same years as the .10 DC's are also tuff to find in VF or above (just not a lot of collectors/interest in comics during this period).

IMHO, JIM # 84 is a tuff book to find VF or above, and I would add early Green lantern books as well. The JIM # 90, I can only guess, was due to a lack of Kirby art? confused-smiley-013.gif

I like this, usefull information! thumbsup2.gif

Strange Tales #107, Daredevil #7, FF#3 come to mind right now.

Latest census (which, of course, provides only ballpark estimates, owing to resubmissions and the great unknown raw supply):

DD 7 - 58 graded examples in 8.0 or above

ST 107 - 30 examples

ST Annual 2 - 29 examples

JIM 89 - 25 examples

ST 101 - 22 examples

Hulk 2 - 22 examples

FF 3 - 22 examples

Hulk 3 - 20 examples

Hulk 1 - 18 examples

JIM 90 - 14 examples

JIM 84 - 12 examples

ST 103 - 10 examples

Rawhide Kid 17 - 1 example

and, for comparative sake, a few from DC:

Ten centers:

Green Lantern 3 - 5 examples

Showcase 23 - 4 examples

Showcase 22 - 4 examples

Batman 121 - 2 examples

Twelve centers:

Adventure 300 - 8 examples

Batman 150 - 6 examples

Detective 300 - 5 examples

Green Lantern 14 - 5 examples

Superman 150 - 1 example

I'm heavily biased towards FF 13, so I know it fits into that list nicely--only 18 copies in 8.0 or better. Took me FOREVER to find a great copy of that book!!!

Just curious what you've found difficult to find in VF and above. I know no Silver Age is "Rare" or "Scarce",..just difficult at times.

Journey into Mystery (#84, 90) , Strange Tales (# 116-125)? Some Strange Adventures featuring the Atomic Knights (? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif).

Any observations? popcorn.gif

hi.gif

Amazing Adult Fantasy 8 and 14. frustrated.gif

Millar publications from the 60s like Drag Cartoons and Cycle Toons - I never see that stuff in VF or better.

I'm guessing esoteric Charlton stuff is very hard to come by in HG.

Gold Key TV Cartoon books like Frankenstein Jr,Wacky Racers, and Space Ghost are amazingly tough to find in VF. Frankie Jr is one of the few SA books listed as scarce in any grade.

In the CGC census, here's what we have:

Amazing Adult Fantasy 8

9 in grades below 5.5

1 in 5.5

1 in 6.0

1 in 6.5

0 in 7.0

0 in 7.5

0 in 8.0

1 in 8.5

0 graded higher than 8.5

Amazing Adult Fantasy 14

5 in grades below 6.0

1 in 6.0

1 in 6.5

0 graded higher than 6.5

So when we all talk about books that are tough to find, in my opinion these are among the toughest. I've got junk copies of these two and would love to lay my hands on nice ones.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif