• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's hard to find VF and above?

62 posts in this topic

I agree that the Marvels posted are the toughest of the Marvels. Strange Tales #97 and #103 are very tough, as are the JIMs already mentioned. Those and the first ten FFs were the toughest comics to find when I completed my Marvel set. All the pre-hero stuff is hard to find. The series Li'l Pals and Li'l Kids by Marvel are the toughest of the late Silver Age. Near mints are next to impossible and vf's are found occasionally if you look hard. Overall I think Marvels are far and away easier than any other company's titles to find in high grade.

Kids' comics like Dennis the Menace, Sad Sack, Little Archie are very tough in high grade, and Dennis the Menace almost is almost non-existent in high grade. It is easily the toughest set of all comics I have ever assembled.

Getting the Skywald magazines in grade is tough too.

Of the Gold Keys, I had found Ripley's Believe It or Not! to be the toughest of the horror titles. Without the many file copies I found of those I don't think I'd ever have completed those in high grade. Gold Key Star Treks are tough but have always been valued and collected so they're not as tough.

DC's are surprisingly hard to find in near mint but you can find them in very fine or just below a lot easier. Some titles seem not to exist in high grade, like Sugar 'N Spike, etc.

Joe

DD 7 is a couple of years after most of those examples, so more copies shouldn't be too surprising

of course, it's also a book you'd better be darn sure gets an 8.0 or higher before submitting, otherwise you might be wasting your money, so there are probably plenty more out there

Hardest Silver Age Marvels (in no particular order...)

FF # 3, 13, 17, 18 & 23

Tales to Astonish # 27, 35 & 36

JIM # 84, 90, & 95

Tales of Suspense # 42-44

Toughest Bronze Age Marvel title....well, there are a number of obscure titles that are next to impossible to locate in HG (Lil Pals, Lil Kids, Our Love Story, My Love, all qualify), but the two titles that I just can't seem to find in high grade at all are the Archie-type ripoffs Chili and Harvey. Harvey I think takes the cake....it had a horribly unpredictable production schedule with many months between several issues.

I have noticed that I cant seem to find Avengers 4 in very high grades. That bottom left corner is all black and gets scuffed up very easliy. Maybe i am just not looking hard enough because the census says there are plenty:

Mint 10.0______________0

Mint 9.9_______________0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8________0

Near Mint + 9.6 ________5

Near Mint 9.4_________12

Near Mint - 9.2_________21

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0____29

Very Fine + 8.5_________16

Very Fine 8.0__________39

Anyone else notice this?

Elvis

I've got five of them,but can't tell you where the other 120 are. Of course,many could be pressed resubs so the auctual numbers could be skewed.

This seems to be a book that many collectors have two or more of.

the two titles that I just can't seem to find in high grade at all are the Archie-type ripoffs Chili and Harvey. Harvey I think takes the cake....it had a horribly unpredictable production schedule with many months between several issues.

I think I have all the Harvey "picture frame" issues in VF/NM and up (and some L'il Kids and Chili), but I have yet to find (other than that insane CGC 9.4 one) any really high-grade copies of the L'il Pals frame issues.

archie #1 anyone got a nice copy?

Geppi has a sweet copy!

mine's okay enough.

That's exactly what I was going to say!

All Archie titles are tough to find in HG. I rarely see any issues (especially 1955-1965) that are 9.0 or better and are not pedigrees. All my HG SA Archies are either Western Penns or Curators.

I would think that, in general, the older the readership of a title, the nicer the existing copies of that title. That would explain why mainstream SA Marvel has so many more HG copies than other companies output.

if only, top census is what 5.5?

They're out there, they just aren't slabbed. There's the Church copy that Geppi has, there's a Reilly copy, and I would assume that there are other pedigree copies in existance (anyone know?). I have also seen at least 3 non-pedigree VF or better copies over the years.

i think Geppi has a lot of nice key comics. you have a copy of archie#1? wow mind posting it. it is one of the comics i want to get someday. i search hi and low for it. I found one but it is too expensive...$14,500 for a cgc 5.0...think its worth it? thanks grin.gif