• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay scam? The age-old reholder request...
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Cliffnotes:

1. Sold a brand new slab to customer on eBay. Total is around $55 shipped. 

2. 5 days after the package is delivered, I get an email from the customer. There are two tiny blackish rub marks on the holder. He says he isn't happy and asks me to cover the reholder charge along with shipping to and from the customer. I have to ask for pictures. He apologizes because you really have to squint to see the marks. Looks to me like they'd simply rub off with a soft cloth. No scratches. The slab was brand new from the CGC and it's been stored in a dark box for months. None of the marks showed up in my original scans, and I'm a little curious as to why he waited so long to contact me. 

3. I offer him a full refund if he returns the book, even though I've clearly stated no returns. I also offer to cover the $15 reholder fee, but I refuse to cover shipping to and fro the CGC because of the item's low price. If I covered shipping, I may as well have just given him the book for free. I tell him that I would prefer a full return if he isn't happy with the offer. I'd rather have the book back than give it away. 

4. He takes the $15 and tells me he will leave positive feedback (which he doesn't, of course). 

Do you ever have the feeling that these kinds of requests are basically scams? I am going to stop offering partial refunds altogether. If you're not happy, just send the book back and we'll square everything away. I feel like I've been played. 

Reason #24724 why I'm fed up with eBay

There was a guy buying dozens, if not hundreds, of slabbed ASM 300s in like 2004/5. Probably someone here. I sold him a slabbed 9.4 for a whopping $99.99 and he does the same thing, except claims a tiny crack. I offer to take the book back and pay for return shipping, but I am not going to send him that money when the case was fine and it was packed very well. Anyway, I contacted a bunch of other folks he had bought ASM 300 slabs from and they told me he did the same thing. He never pursued it after I offered a full refund with return shipping. I guess some folks feel that if they buy enough slabs in volume they should throw this out there and see how many people bit. It's a free $25 or whatever if it works.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Cliffnotes:

2. 5 days after the package is delivered, I get an email from the customer. There are two tiny blackish rub marks on the holder. He says he isn't happy and asks me to cover the reholder charge along with shipping to and from the customer. I have to ask for pictures. He apologizes because you really have to squint to see the marks. Looks to me like they'd simply rub off with a soft cloth. No scratches. The slab was brand new from the CGC and it's been stored in a dark box for months. None of the marks showed up in my original scans, and I'm a little curious as to why he waited so long to contact me. 

3. I offer him a full refund if he returns the book, even though I've clearly stated no returns. I also offer to cover the $15 reholder fee, but I refuse to cover shipping to and fro the CGC because of the item's low price. If I covered shipping, I may as well have just given him the book for free. I tell him that I would prefer a full return if he isn't happy with the offer. I'd rather have the book back than give it away. 

4. He takes the $15 and tells me he will leave positive feedback (which he doesn't, of course). 

Do you ever have the feeling that these kinds of requests are basically scams? I am going to stop offering partial refunds altogether. If you're not happy, just send the book back and we'll square everything away. I feel like I've been played. 

There was a guy buying Walking Dead CGC slabs off of eBay a few years ago who was doing that same scam on everyone. Every slab had a small crack on it and he requested a refund to cover the re-holder. I wonder if it's the same guy. He had multiple IDs.

The least he could do is take 30 seconds to leave positive feedback. 

Funny how people have all morning to complain, but not enough time to show appreciation for good customer service. 

I'm positive he would have found time to ding me with a negative had I refused. Also, I would have to deal with eBay and PayPal. In the end, it was worth $15 to get him off my back and maintain my reputation. 

But it won't happen again. No more partials. No more reholder fees. All or nothing. If a rub the size of a pencil eraser on a $40 slab bothers you that badly, just send the book back to me and I'll give you the money. Unbelievable. I can't imagine all the BS professional dealers have to go through, as I am just a small-fry wheeler and dealer who does this as a little side hustle. 

2 hours ago, newshane said:

Cliffnotes:

I believe the best thing to do for situations like this is to ask the buyer to open an eBay case. In this situation it could be for, item arrived damaged. If the buyer opens a case, the seller would respond to the case with a return item for refund. Seller can also respond with buyer keep the item and seller gives a partial refund amount of their choosing. If you end up offering the partial refund, at least eBay has a record of it through the eBay case. If all sellers do this, it would help to cut down on these types of scams. Most scammers will simply never open a case as eBay only allows a buyer to open so many cases before they take some sort of action. Most scammers know this so they will just try to get you to give them a partial refund without opening a case. I know many scammers have multiple accounts but sometimes eBays system can connect them as the same person.

Honestly, it looks like a legit eBay account. 

Here is a picture of what bothered him. Looks like it would simply rub off with a soft towel? The minute I got it back from the CGC, it was placed in a bag and stored in a box. I'd forgotten I even had this copy. 

Plus, as a seller, I like to learn about these things immediately. Not after the book has been out of my hands for almost a week. 

I'd bet my paycheck that this guy doesn't go through the trouble of getting it reholdered. 

He said it "affects presentation" yet I have to strain to see it. 

Oh well. It's a done deal now anyway. Learn and move on. My policy from now on will be ALL OR NOTHING. 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.9196a358317850aed7f56632d0531b29.jpg

2 minutes ago, kav said:

If everyone would just say "I'm sorry you are dissatisfied with item.  Pls return and I will issue a full refund"  - then block

all this would screech to a halt

Lesson learned. 

Downside to all of this is that if they go through eBay to get resolution, as the seller you will almost always need to refund or replace, versus if the buyer would contact you directly first to have the issues resolved. “Not as described” is killer if someone is not satisfied, even if you don’t offer returns that by passes everything in ebays eyes.

This has been my experience with the eBay anyway.