• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade this GSXM #1 I am considering on purchasing ....

28 posts in this topic

This holiday weekend, I'm considering the purchase of a GSXM #1. Please take a look at the scans and give me your opinions on the grade. It has some pretty bad overhang, but other than that seems okay. The seller describes it as a 9.0, but I think that's a bit overgraded myself.

gsx1f.jpg

gsx1b.jpg

That's a very hard book to grade from a scan. I had a 6.5 that anyone on these boards would have graded at least an 8.5 from the scans. Be sure the seller offers refunds.

Luckily, if I bought it, it would be for roughly the 8.0 price or so. But if it could be a 7.0 or 7.5, or even an 8 for that matter, I may not buy it. I was in the running for a much much nicer book that looked to me like at least a solid 9.2, but it jumped up more than 200 bucks in the last 45 seconds. Only sold for just over $700 though which isn't bad.

Bottom edge trimmed sumo.gif ! Looks like a failed attempt to resolve the "overhang" issues you refer to.

How in the world can you spot that!?

I think he may be right. I would take a good look at that bottom edge in hand. Doesn't look like there is any tanning on the edges to match up, so I am not sure how you could find out for sure. Maybe a jewler's loupe? confused-smiley-013.gif

Bottom edge trimmed sumo.gif ! Looks like a failed attempt to resolve the "overhang" issues you refer to.

If it's not trimmed than it's damaged enough to lower it into the FVF range don't ya think?

I'd run like heck from this unless it's dirt cheap.

poke2.gif

A clearer view of the bottom edge.

gsx-bot.jpg

A lot of the Calm-mix copies have this problem...in his case though, I think it was a stacking problem that exposed the bottom edges...

Jim

moisture damage?

Make that VGF if it is. crazy.gif

If we keep at it we'll get it into a $1 bin! thumbsup2.gif

I actually had a copy of this that I had bought off the newstand for sale in a long box unbagged with $1 pencilled on the back cover in the late 70s that I took to a few shows in Ohio when I was unloading my collection - and nobody bought it ( or the #94 my friend had, or the #100 i had as well) I left town for a couple of years and while in Seattle saw a copy on comic shop wall for $90 and nearly fainted. When i returned to Ohio - I did a show and sold it as a FN for $60.

I wasn't paying much attention to mainstream comics circa 1977-1980, but I get the impression that the revamped X-men books went from being quarter box material to smoking hot extremely fast - am I wrong about this?

I get the impression that the revamped X-men books went from being quarter box material to smoking hot extremely fast - am I wrong about this?

You are not wrong.