• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bespoke Storage Solutions

14 posts in this topic

Hello all!

About two years ago I was in contact with GeekChiq. My condolences in advance to anyone who lost money/product in that debacle. I was having a quote done for an Alexandria Codex; since having long boxes of books on industrial shelving doesn't really compliment the look of my living room. They went under before details could be finalized, and more importantly, before I sent them the deposit.

Does anyone else know of a company/individual who does comic storage specific cabinet work? I asked for a quote from Wyrmwood, and while customer service was extremely polite, they felt such a project was beyond their core focus of tabletop gaming. I've seen photos of some very impressive DIY storage solutions, but I don't have the tools or talent necessary to build epic custom furniture. Looking to see if anyone knows if such a thing exists, or if I'll have to find a local guy who does custom cabinetry work.

15 minutes ago, Shadow Images said:

Have a local craftsman do the work. Will come out better in the end. The comic cubes look like veneered wood.

I remember yours from the comic room thread, I vouch they're Awesome!

If your going to do it might as well make them with a personal touch ;)

Half price books got them in now and they are "different", I'm not sure how I feel about them yet... they aren't on metal sliders, it's just wood on wood like wood blocks....:sick:

@Shadow Images Looking like that is how I’m going to have to do it. Is there a link to the image(s) @ADAMANTIUM referenced as your comic room?

I’ve seen a couple of the heavy hitters comic rooms in town; enough mahogany & leather to make every cigar lounge I’ve ever seen jealous of comic book collectors. I don’t have the bankroll to roll quite that large; that’s why I’ve got the unsightly rows of long boxes on industrial steel shelving.

8 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Hello all!

About two years ago I was in contact with GeekChiq. My condolences in advance to anyone who lost money/product in that debacle. I was having a quote done for an Alexandria Codex; since having long boxes of books on industrial shelving doesn't really compliment the look of my living room. They went under before details could be finalized, and more importantly, before I sent them the deposit.

Does anyone else know of a company/individual who does comic storage specific cabinet work? I asked for a quote from Wyrmwood, and while customer service was extremely polite, they felt such a project was beyond their core focus of tabletop gaming. I've seen photos of some very impressive DIY storage solutions, but I don't have the tools or talent necessary to build epic custom furniture. Looking to see if anyone knows if such a thing exists, or if I'll have to find a local guy who does custom cabinetry work.

Oh wow! Bummer. I looked into their products before. They looked sweet! 

22 minutes ago, BabaLament said:

@Shadow Images Looking like that is how I’m going to have to do it. Is there a link to the image(s) @ADAMANTIUM referenced as your comic room?

I’ve seen a couple of the heavy hitters comic rooms in town; enough mahogany & leather to make every cigar lounge I’ve ever seen jealous of comic book collectors. I don’t have the bankroll to roll quite that large; that’s why I’ve got the unsightly rows of long boxes on industrial steel shelving.

I think he is confusing me with someone else. I never got around to building mine. I just know a lot of high end woodworkers.  There are a lot in the comic room thread as well as you can just go to yahoo type in custom comic book cabinets and it will give you a lot of ideas. Let me know what state you in and I can let you know if I know anyone near you.

18 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Does anyone else know of a company/individual who does comic storage specific cabinet work?......I don't have the tools or talent necessary to build epic custom furniture......Looking to see if anyone knows if such a thing exists.....

http://stanpikedesigns.com/

Link to some of his custom built comic storage chests

His work isn't cheap, but he also offers a new economy model linked here

t384d.jpg

tt226c.jpg

t350c.jpg

t361e.jpg

culp_177c2.jpg

culp_172d.jpg

culp_166c.jpg

culp_203d.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

There are quite a few videos on YouTube explaining how to use filing cabinets to store books securely and safely, both standard and legal.  There are also lots of options for wooden filing cabinets that look very nice but do not cost anywhere close to the same as custom options.  

Obviously lots of great ideas of Pinterest.com as well.

I'm currently using the new stackable BCW black plastic bins with locking lids and spacers on the inside for less than full boxes.  I'm quite happy with this choice but I'm the first to admit,  they aren't something I'd have on display.