• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Shuster and GA Superman question...

5 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a reader copy of Superman #7 and have been very much enjoying it, particularly after learning so much about the early days of Siegel and Shuster from the Men of Tomorrow book.

In Superman #7, all four stories appear to be Joe Shuster art...the line quality changes slightly from one to the next, which is presumably because they would have been inked by various other people in the Siegel & Shuster studio...but to my eyes all four are recognizably Shuster throughout, particularly evident in his distinctive faces. This leads me to wonder, which issue of Superman was the first to feature a non-Shuster story? (I'm guessing it comes pretty early on, since Fred Ray covers begin as early as #9?) And my follow-up question would then be, which was the first issue to have NO visible involvement by Shuster in the art at all (though I'm unsure if this can be pinpointed). Can someone with early issues or reprints help out?

The first "Superman" issue that had art by someone othter than Joe Shuster was Superman #2. It had a story inked by Paul Cassidy. The first issue Paul Cassidy pencilled and inked was Superman #4 (the story featuring Lurthor's 2nd appearance!).

West

Thank you West, very interesting. You know, I have a reader of Superman #4 too and I didn't even notice that! I'll have to go back and take another look.

Then my other question: which Superman issue was the first where all stories were drawn by artists other than Shuster?

To my knowlege the first issue that Shuster had no involvement with is Superman #18. Fred Ray cover with interior art by Leo Nowak, Ed Dobrotka and John Sikela.

Hope that helps! thumbsup2.gif

West