• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Rare is a Jack Kirby Signed Book?

58 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm starting to think that you don't know how to read...

I wrote this before you ever posted in the thread.  What is it you believe is either objectionable or incorrect or something I don't comprehend?

Jack signed a lot of comics, although probably orders of magnitude fewer than Stan.  He was a frequent attendee at New York Comic Con when living in NYC and San Diego Comic Con when he moved to SoCal.  And back in the day, the creators signed books for fans for free.  Here's one I had signed at a Phil Seuling show: 

PICTURE

Mr. Kirby passed away years before the advent of CGC, if you're thinking about "officially" designated signatured CGC slabs, so those are nonexistent.  There are, however, other signature authentication services in the comics encapsulation industry.

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
17 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I guess you didn't read my post above, either.  It's only a one page thread, people.

I'm starting to think that you don't know how to read...

You do kinda enjoy being a d-bag don't you?

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

I wrote this before you ever posted in the thread.  What is it you believe is either objectionable or incorrect or something I don't comprehend?

Jack signed a lot of comics, although probably orders of magnitude fewer than Stan.  He was a frequent attendee at New York Comic Con when living in NYC and San Diego Comic Con when he moved to SoCal.  And back in the day, the creators signed books for fans for free.  Here's one I had signed at a Phil Seuling show: 

PICTURE

Mr. Kirby passed away years before the advent of CGC, if you're thinking about "officially" designated signatured CGC slabs, so those are nonexistent.  There are, however, other signature authentication services in the comics encapsulation industry.

So... You have a problem with people sharing information that you already posted..? What, exactly, is your problem? What's your allegation based on, guessing that, "I didn't read the thread before I posted"? I did read the thread, and I couldn't care less about your previous post. I decided to insert my own.

3 minutes ago, MyCameo said:

CBCS has a program just like CGC's SS, where a CBCS witness is required to be present to authenticate the book.  It is no different.

TwoPiece -- "Well, since they're the only grading service to require company observed authentication"

You -- "Not true, CBCS has company observed authentication."

1 minute ago, MyCameo said:

I edited the above post to include the facts.

All comic books submitted under the Authentic Signature Program have been signed or sketched in the presence of a CBCS Authorized Witness and immediately submitted for grading and encapsulation.

Despite them alleging that this is the case, they do not follow this procedure to the extent that they're disclaiming.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

So... You have a problem with people sharing information that you already posted..? What, exactly, is your problem? What's your allegation based on, guessing that, "I didn't read the thread before I posted"? I did read the thread, and I couldn't care less about your previous post. I decided to insert my own.

Thank you for confirming the facts and ideas I posted earlier.  I accept your apology.

2 minutes ago, MyCameo said:

Prove it (shrug)

Do your own research. My friend got a book signed at a Michigan Comic Con this year that CBCS authenticated without witness. Because of CBCS/PGX practices, he didn't opt into CGC's services.

Edited by TwoPiece
Edit: He had the artists sign the book, and LATER had the artist sign some form of release. I haven't submitted any signed books personally and do not gather that this form of "authentication" would ever be honored by CGC.

See quote above. A witness is required, how is this hard to grasp?

You're conveniently omitting their practice of unwitnessed signature verification, how is that hard to grasp?

But if you'd like to be this obtuse, PGX also offers a signature witnessing program.

Just now, MyCameo said:

I can make up stories too :gossip:

Maybe, but you can't make up stories about this for CGC. It's fairly common knowledge that CBCS has questionable "authentication" practices. CGC has been air-tight for 18 years now.

What happened is factual. You can claim otherwise, but this book is out there, slabbed by CBCS as an "authenticated" signature, and while it is a real signature, CBS never witnessed it.

That's because it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Do you deny that CBCS has a program exactly like CGC's?

I don't think anyone has any idea what you're talking about.  @TwoPiece was correct initially that CGC is the only company to require a signature be witnessed in order to certify it as authentic.  Both of the other guys offer unwitnessed verification, ergo they only offer a witness service, they don't require it.

English is fun!

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Maybe, but you can't make up stories about this for CGC. It's fairly common knowledge that CBCS has questionable "authentication" practices. CGC has been air-tight for 18 years now.

All I can say is that it always hasn't been air-tight for every day of that 18 years. I've heard some stories. Obviously, I can't prove anything but what I've heard has come from signature series veterans who have been having comics signed for many of those 18 years. 

Edited by Jerkfro

Just now, Jerkfro said:

All I can say is that it always hasn't been air-tight for every day of that 18 years. I've heard some stories. Obviously, I can't prove anything but what I've heard has come from some signature series veterans. 

Yeah, I kinda regretted making that statement after posting. I can't be certain that their practices have always been perfect, but it seems like they always have been.

4 minutes ago, MyCameo said:

Wrong. The Authentic Signature Series requires a witness 100% of the time. It is exactly like Cgc's program. You're talking about 5he Verified Signature program.

Meeting adjourned since you can't grasp basic concepts.  And I'm sure I've done enough to help you earn your kickback for the day.