• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urgent grade needed!

35 posts in this topic

What do you thing of this? And how much should be paid raw?? This is from a reputale dealer, who has promised a return if not happy but the scan omits the edges! but he assures me that the corners are square and no chiping to edges. Best guess? (Pictures attached)

130945-tos39-2.JPG.c98abbc52087dff6c37caed4591e0ea7.JPG

Someone else! Which I thought at first was dodgy, but it is a reputable dealer, who 'SAYS' that their scanner cuts the edges off of everything? Has also stated a full refund will be given if I am not happy, the corners are ALL sharp and square and the edges are straight with no chipping? Dilemma? Or is there something wrong????confused.gif

Thats what I thought, just wanted to back up my own thoughts! The asking price is $1900, does that change your mind??

Think of it this way....for $1900 the "reputable dealer" should drive to Kinkos...get a scan that is vivid and clear, and prove to you that it is worth that kind of money...

On a high end sale such as this the guy should be bending over backwards to make sure you have no qualms about purchasing the book..

JMO.... crazy.gif

There is no good reason for anyone to send a scan that crops all the edges off. Every scanner program that I am aware of will let you turn off 'autocropping' and fix the scan area size. This lets you get some 'overhang' to include the edges. For nearly $2,000 I would expect even a very busy big time dealer to go to some extra effort. I would ask for a scan at least 8 inches wide to attempt online grading.

FYI: This is one of those issues where even a 0.5 difference in grade makes a BIG difference in value. If it is CGC graded, approximate values are:

8.0 - $3,200

7.5 - $2,000

7.0 - $1,500

6.5 - $1,100

(The small scan, what there is of it, looks great. But I wouldn't base a buying decision on it.) smile.gif

No scanner cuts corners off like that that I'm aware of. If you're going to pay top dollar for that book (which generally looks flat & clean), you must have a look at all four corners & the entire book to determine the grade. I wouldn't even guess the grade without the full book to view.

Consider also that a good scanner costs about $100 nowadays. If this guy can afford to buy and sell HG silver keys, he can afford a decent scanner. IMHO, he's either lazy or dishonest or both.

My scanner will try to "auto crop" images like this one. It's very simple to turn off though. There's no reason for him not to provide a nice high res scan unless he has something to hid. I'd pass on the book if I couldn't get a better scan.

At the least he should offer a full money back guarantee. See if he'll let you pay half up front then the other half after you get the book.

$1900 approximates a Fine in raw(whatever that fancy 'lil term means) form.

I don't know what he could be trying to pull here(if anything) but in America,we scan comic books *completely*.

You could possibly get a good deal,but thats a big gamble to take without a full scan.He can either re-do,or say "hasta la bye-bye".....

I dont think the guy knows how to turn tha off! He has provided aother scan through the mylar (so the scanner cuts of the edge of the mylar instead of the comic!). What do you think??? 22413874.jpg