• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urgent grade needed!

35 posts in this topic

I've got bigger scans but don't know how to upload them?? The uploading website I use crashes if I try to add a BMP, and the JPGs come out small?? Any ideas?? If you can really help I can send you an email with a large zipped attachment if youPM me your emails???????

I'm not saying it's trimmed or not either, but that was the first question that came to my mind when I looked at the scan. For $1900, I'd want to view the book in person or have a return policy clearly enunciated before sending any money.

I am new to the Collectors Society. I have collected comics off and on for about 25 years. I stopped collecting several years ago because I was tired of getting ripped off. I now will only collect CGC graded books.

The Tales of Suspense #39 you are showing is IMHO trimmed. The bottom of the book looks to be a 1/4" shorter than my copy and the top is not any bigger than my copy.

Two quick points:

1) If you are going to buy an expense "raw" comic, go to a website (such as heritagecomics.com) and see a graded picture of the book (assuming they have ever auctioned off a copy). There are a TON more TRIMMED books out in this world than you could imaging. I just sold on eBay a Startling Comics #46 that looked to be VF/NM. I bought it from an auction dealer in the CBG around six years ago. Paid $660. Realized just recently that it looked shorter than the scans of the same book. Sold the book with the description that I believe the book was trimmed. Final sale Price $150. DON"T GET RIPPED OFF.

2) A dealer, IMHO, would get the book graded if they didn't think it was trimmed.

Hope this helps.

I noticed that vertical 'crease' on the front cover also. I looked at the scan of the back and didn't see evidence of a fold on the back cover. Maybe it's a scratch or a printing defect. Hard to tell without holding the book in your hands.

The book has enough bends and creases (look at the top left corner) to make it unusual for all the edges and corners to be so perfectly straight and trim.

Here is a recent auction on eBay if you want to compare pictures for trimming:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2157452159

And another one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2159872679

is that a "color breaking" subscription crease going down the entire middle of the book

Looks like it to me...and a close look at the scan reveals possible color touch along the crease?

Kev - please don't tell me this is the book I inquired about in response to your marketplace thread!?!?!

That definitely looks like color touch in that long vertical crease! But, you STILL need a better scan cause this one is still bitmapped and the detail is lost!! Some spots on the spice might have some ct spots as well....

I was the "culprit" that Kev was referring to when he said way up above that someone "Had already told him it was trimmed". After seeing the LARGE scans that Greggy was good enough to host, there's even MORE than that done. There IS c.t. in several spine stresses and the POSSIBILITY of c.t. in the "sub-crease" mentioned. Also, the black spine line is c.t.ed at LEAST at the top of the spine. The book is trimmed on the top, the right, and quite possibly on the bottom as well (just the cover being trimmed on the bottom and NOT the interior pages as on the top and right edges). Good book to stay far away from. A purple label CGC 7.0 in all probability. Approx. value: $400 to $500, but would probably fetch $750 on Ebay from a bidder that's tired of hunting an unrestored F/VF at a decent price.