• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "All-American Publication Cover Logo" Run is COMPLETE !!
2 2

74 posts in this topic

Mutt and Jeff is the first title I acquired/completed in this particular collecting effort. It was November of 2014, and at that time I was simply thinking that pursuing this 48-book set would be kind of a cool thing to do, but I hadn't decided to actually do it yet.

Then, ala serendipity, @Columbia Comics ran a sales thread where he listed Mutt & Jeff #17, 18, & 19. :whatthe: 

:takeit:

Then, I just needed #16 to complete the Mutt & Jeff logo set - quick search of the internet...Metropolis had #16 sitting there for a reasonable price.

Just like that, Mutt & Jeff was done, and off I go....

Doesn't hurt that the Metro #16 is the Crippen copy :grin:

muttjeff16_f.jpg

13 hours ago, EC ed said:

Mutt and Jeff is the first title I acquired/completed in this particular collecting effort. It was November of 2014, and at that time I was simply thinking that pursuing this 48-book set would be kind of a cool thing to do, but I hadn't decided to actually do it yet.

Then, ala serendipity, @Columbia Comics ran a sales thread where he listed Mutt & Jeff #17, 18, & 19. :whatthe: 

Then, I just needed #16 to complete the Mutt & Jeff logo set - quick search of the internet...Metropolis had #16 sitting there for a reasonable price.

Just like that, Mutt & Jeff was done, and off I go....

Doesn't hurt that the Metro #16 is the Crippen copy :grin:

That is indeed serendipity!  Cool.

Next up, we have the single AA-logo issue of the title that Max used as the foundation of EC: Picture Stories from the Bible. There are many different sub-titles within the Picture Stories from the Bible family (e.g., Complete Old Testament, Complete New Testament, Life of Christ, etc., etc...it gets quite tedious keeping track of them all :D ). However, only one issue of one sub-title bore the AA logo...issue #2 of the New Testament Edition (not to be confused with the Complete New Testament edition, of course), from Spring of 1945:

picstoriesbible_nt2_f.jpg.d47c599f53dc5c0350629702a6ae03fe.jpg

Just to prove it to you...whereas all the other titles reverted back to the DC logo at the end of 1945 (because, remember, Max sold them back to DC), the next issue of this title switched from the AA logo to the EC logo...EC was born!! (worship)

picstoriesbible_nt3_gfc_f.thumb.jpg.d74530623d7fb1171768c052a2aedeb2.jpg

Edited by EC ed

That brings us to the most prolific title within the AA cover logo run...Sensation Comics...10 issues, all told, all from 1945 (this was a monthly :whatthe:  )

Early on in this collecting pursuit, several collecting buddies that I discussed this with said "you better make sure you get the Sensations and the Wonder Woman issues nailed down as soon as possible, before they get out of hand" - of course, I decided to do this just as Wonder Woman was heating up because of movies or some such irritation :D

Actually, I was able to get most of them at quite reasonable prices, all things considered...except for the first Sensation issue in this set, that is. Sensation #38 (from February 1945) was the last book that I needed to complete this 48-book collection in its entirety (not an easy book to get a hold of), and I paid handsomely for a copy a couple weeks ago to get the job done...just in time for the holiday season so that I can post it in all the 2018 "Show Us Your Christmas Covers" threads :headbang:  . Hopefully 5 years from now, it'll look like a bargain (actually, who cares  lol  ):

sensation38_f.jpg