• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Apropos of Nothing...

1 post in this topic

While looking through the Simonson FB Fan group, I noted a cover produced by Walt for 'Marvel Premiere' issue 57.  It has always been a longtime favorite issue; with a young Dave Gibbons showing off his indelible take on Tom Baker's unforgettable Fourth Doctor Who.  Seeing it again clicked into place an old irritation over a Pat Broderick cover; that something about it was VERY familiar.

background.jpg.083ed176c43f26b6217837d8b6d0bec0.jpg

The cover for MICRONAUTS was published three months after the MARVEL PREMIERE / DOCTOR WHO cover.  Presumably Pat or the Bullpen must have re-used the background pattern for some 'color' on the Micros cover; the art for that Micros issue would have been in the process of being created just as that Who cover came off the presses.  Somebody could have just reached over and nicked it.   Presumably Simonson designed the cover pattern for his cover, would they have asked his permission to re-use it, or just plowed ahead?

I know enough about the printing 'color plate' technology of the time to have guessed that the Micros background was probably a separate piece, and the above pretty much confirms it (though it could have been a stat of the pattern, I guess).  To my knowledge, the cover for Micros #27 has not surfaced yet; I wonder if the pattern 'lives' with the figure art, or if it's long gone.

Edited by thethedew