• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At this point, should I just crack them out of the case?
3 3

54 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2018 at 5:55 PM, grebal said:

I never did clarify that time that my 'comic room' had since been taken from me for other purposes, and that cabinet sits in the garage housing some boxes of knick-knacks or something.

Funny thing - I have a buddy who didn't return a couple of voice-mails I left around Thanksgiving and resorted to the same method of doing a quick "is he alive" check.

Anyway, here's what I'm relegated to now for most of my collection- a closet with a couple of shelves and lots of boxes on the floor, although most of the 'grails' are appropriately buried in boxes.  As you might have heard, ; ) there are many people with greater value in a single book in their collection than the sum total of my entire stash (which includes runs like ASM 2-700, FF 2-200, Hulk 1-6).    Psst: btw, those two big keys are GRRs.

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

You're an Ex-Lawyer so I know those aren't GRRs. I got your address, Pal. 

While I appreciate everyones input, it's now a moot point as my wife has informed me we're traveling to Iraqi Kurdistan in March 2019 (or for the ultra-ultra PC Crowd just Kurdistan as Iraq stole the land from the Kurds, etc, etc) and "there will be no more comic purchase for the time being" as money is to be saved for trip.

Anyone know of any comic shops in Iraq?

There is: https://www.facebook.com/search/110301785664699/places-in/133510666716809/places/intersect/

Edited by NoMan

39 minutes ago, NoMan said:
1 hour ago, SteppinRazor said:

Volatile place to go.  Good luck.

So is Houston and I survived it numerous times. And Hell, I live in Los Angeles.

Edited 37 minutes ago by NoMan

So you've been yo Houston, Hell, and you live in Los Angeles... That's the qualifications for an Iraq destination?

:jokealert:

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

So you've been yo Houston, Hell, and you live in Los Angeles... That's the qualifications for an Iraq destination?

:jokealert:

The qualification is my wife says so. I can give you the whole story if you or anyone is interested. Short story: traveling with a writer who has family there that are big wigs in Erbil. If I die, Grebal gets my comics. 

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

The qualification is my wife says so. I can give you the whole story if you or anyone is interested. Short story: traveling with a writer who has family there that are big wigs in Erbil. If I die, Grebal gets my comics. 

It does sound intriguing to say the least, I expect a full report upon your return :foryou:

Some day all the pressed books will begin to disintegrate or change in a visible manner due to uh oh we didnt realize the long term effects on xylem.  Then the mad scramble for the extremely rare unpressed key books will begin.  Prices will skyrocket into the millions as these rare animals are sought out.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Back atcha, already been mentally constructing a clause in my will that would give you the most interesting ones at some ridiculously low price if you wanted them, since most of my peeps just don't seem particularly interested in them.  Of course, everyone likes the money part of them, but as long at they're still in comic book form and I'm dead, what will I care then about the more mercenary aspects?

Seriously looking forward to hearing more about this jaunt off to Northern Iraq.  Whoa.

Edited by grebal

27 minutes ago, kav said:

Some day all the pressed books will begin to disintegrate or change in a visible manner due to uh oh we didnt realize the long term effects on xylem.  Then the mad scramble for the extremely rare unpressed key books will begin.  Prices will skyrocket into the millions as these rare animals are sought out.

I kinda thing you're right

17 minutes ago, NoMan said:
1 hour ago, kav said:

I kinda thing you're right

That would be too awesome and the universe just doesn't work that way - and you know, physics, like those cars crushed into cubes that haven't disintegrated yet.  How cool it would be though.

Edited by grebal
a karmic reward to all of us 'purists'

1 minute ago, grebal said:

That would be too awesome and the universe just doesn't work that way - and you know, physics, like those cars crushed into cubes that haven't disintegrated yet.  How cool it would be though.

True but cars are not made of an organic compound like glucose-which comics sadly are....

Also dont they use heat in pressing?  that could have consequences on the glycosidic bonds.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, newshane said:

I can tell you for a fact that almost all of the online big boys press almost everything. I won't call anyone out, but it's just the way of things in the hobby now. 

What do you mean by 'online big boys' exactly? Any reputable online comic book seller that has a policy of pressing every book in their inventory should disclose as much for the sake of transparency especially considering the amount of $ spent by collectors. IMHO. If they genuinely don't know whether their books are pressed or not then that's slightly different. 

Just now, Knucklehead McSpazatron said:

And next time leave 1950s off the list, the less I see of him the better.

You silly muffin!

at the Major Comic-Con a couple years ago i became aware that most if not all big time dealers will pay the extra and press the comics they submit to CGC ,...and why not ?? its not all that much more money (just extra time) and it pays for itself many times over...

Edited by 1950's war comics