• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarcity of Actions

76 posts in this topic

I just can't make myself spend the 12K for the copy I want. I can get quite a few in my Whiz Comics and Captain Marvel Adventure runs for that. I could do that and get myself an Action #12 or #14 for that matter. I remember this issue being brought up a few months ago. I decided to run queries against ebay. The dividing line on the Actions was issue #25. Every issue #25 and earlier was tough to find in any grade on ebay. #26 and up was a different matter. Many more copies. Of course, could be the market is dried up because conventions are coming up in the next month. People want to hold on to them for trades and sales. Who knows?

re: supes vs. action: I know Superman had a substantially higher print run than Action, but anything beyond that would be hypothesis. The print run differential by itself would not cause the large gap in availability most speak of.

There is the perception that Action had better covers- perhaps collectors are less apt to want to part with them?

I see Superman #14 pop up quite a bit, actually. #17 and #26 seem harder to come by from my experience.

Durden- I agree that Action 1-20 are very tough, but doesn't it seem like there are hundreds of extra #18's floating around?

I wish every dealer had decent copies of Superman #14.

this one, I feel is getting tougher in unrestored condition, I see a fair amount of restored ones around...

With that black cover, it must have been tempting for owners to add color touch as the colors started to fade or to make creases look better.

I wish every dealer had decent copies of Superman #14.

this one, I feel is getting tougher in unrestored condition, I see a fair amount of restored ones around...

With that black cover, it must have been tempting for owners to add color touch as the colors started to fade or to make creases look better.

BINGO !! now where's the emotocon with the guy touching his nose ??

I've seen restored copies and incomplete copies (cover torn half way off) with asking prices pretty high..

Could also be that since the full reprints of Actions are few and far between, collectors don't want to get rid of them. Has anyone thought about paper quality differences between both books. That could put the scarcity issue in a different light if the Actions had consistenly lower quality paper than the Supes.

Durden- I agree that Action 1-20 are very tough, but doesn't it seem like there are hundreds of extra #18's floating around?

I do see #18 show up relatively more often (of course mostly in low grade) compared to some surrounding issues such as 16, 17, 19, 20, 23.

Of course some issues like 8 & 9 I've never seen an unrestored copy.

I'm with Matt on this one, the spine looks almost completely split,.. but it's got to be the best 1.0 I've seen, and WHITE pages...nice...

Yeah, I would have like to bid on it. However the auction was being held in Kansas and I actually tried to sign up with "proxibid.com" so I could bid on the live auction online. There was a pre-approval proces and other red-tape to go through so I just said forget it. I should have just drove to Kansas!

The Swenson Auction actually had a lot of nice golden age books all CGC graded including some more Actions. Type in "Swenson Auctions Action 13" in yahoo and its the first link to come up.