• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarcity of Actions

76 posts in this topic

so has anyone made any head way at all in their Action collection recently ?? confused-smiley-013.gif

last 3 months, let's see:

#33 off of eBay, turned out to be restored, got stuck with it.

#27 off eBay, suspected resto, did not buy.

#14 from Metro, suspected resto, returned.

#58 from eBay, turned out to be missing 8 pages, returned.

ummmmm, no, no progress here.

I am going down to metro tommorrow morning to get a fix, either #26, 27, or 60. Also taking a look at thier selection of #14s and 29s smile.gif

I'll post scans when I get back to the office.

Matt, have you checked out the 7.5 copy of Action #17 they have? I wonder if you've looked at it closely and if you agree with the grade. If it was indeed a 7.5 it would be the highest graded copy so far. It's out of my price range, but I wondered your thoughts on it.

I've seen it in person at shows. I'm not good at high grade grading, but If you can get past the giant initial stamp on the cover, it's a pretty sharp looking copy. Likely a 7.0 CGC grade due to the spine wear. It's been for sale for quite a while, which tells my gut that it's over priced.

Compared to CGC, Metro grades .5-1.0 higher on some books, from my experience. Not a knock on Metro, if they are reading this wink.gif

Wow that Action #13 with white pages is pretty incredible for a book that grades as low as it does! I also wished I could have participated in that Swenson Auction that was held in Kansas, I was only able to listen to the auction live on my computer! That son of a wealthy Wall Street investor Eric Roberts picked up some big books during that auction including $42,000 for a Flash #1 in CGC 6.5! Its really tough getting early Actions with decent page quality, alot are browning and are on the verge of going brittle!

unlimited resources must be a great boon to his collecting habits. :/

speaking of much more limited resources, just posted a couple of new Action/Supes books in the Cigar thread! Spoke with Ed's replacement at Metro while down there, and he confirms that GA in general, and Action war books particularly, are getting harder to come by the last couple of years.

He was very helpful, and happy to check through thier 'invisible' stock for a dozen odd things.

My experience with pre-WWII Actions (as well as other DCs from 1936-1940) is that they generally have very nice paper and white inside covers. I strongly suspect that right before WWII (mid 1941 or so) there was a change in paper stock quality, which is the cause of the aging issues (yellowing page quality/golden huing on the inside covers).