• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any hints at finding a "weirdest thing that's happened when you gone to look at a collection" thread?

52 posts in this topic

I believe someone here in Los Angeles went to the hood. Left money in car. Rough looking characters but it all turned out as advertised. 

I mean weird stories with a capital W!   You go to look at the collection and the guy is dressed as one of the My Little Ponies. Or Collector (husband) is having a full on fight with wife while you are looking through books. Something weird you've seen at a collector's house like maybe a temple set up in remembrance of Anton Levay or a collection of prosthetic arms or legs.

Several years ago, I responded to a craigslist ad in Atlanta. I asked for some additional pictures of the collection. He sent me several of the books laid out on the floor. He took the pics naked. How do I know? Pointing the camera towards the floor, every picture had his...ah, manhood, visible in the pic. I never responded. A few days later he emailed again saying it was an accident and the books were still available. Sure... 

40 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Several years ago, I responded to a craigslist ad in Atlanta. I asked for some additional pictures of the collection. He sent me several of the books laid out on the floor. He took the pics naked. How do I know? Pointing the camera towards the floor, every picture had his...ah, manhood, visible in the pic. I never responded. A few days later he emailed again saying it was an accident and the books were still available. Sure... 

Yeah, that qualifies. 

5 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

I wonder if he's a member on the board

I wish I could find that pic of Vampirella #1 with the ~ahem~ special grafitti on cover.

22 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I wonder if he's a member on the board

I see what you did there! lol

Just now, Bookery said:

Since this thread has some interesting potential, I'll keep it alive by posting a real one this time.  However... this isn't so much a strange event as simply an annoying one... and one probably similar to many of us.  Now, I rarely go to look at collections anymore, unless it's simply too large a collection for the customer to bring to me.  I buy collections nearly every day, so if I'm out on a wild goose chase with a non-serious seller, I'm likely missing a collection that came into the shop while I was out.

But in my younger naive days I went galloping after collections quite often.  This call was a typical one... we've got Action #1... really really really... the real one!  Now even then I wasn't dumb enough to get duped into this on the surface.  This was in the mid-'90s, and the Treasury-size reprint was only about 20 years old, and you'd get a call like this about every month.  Nobody just has an Action #1 by itself tucked away.  I explained that this was likely the oversize reprint.  "No!  It's literally impossible", they proclaim.  You see, according to them, this book has been locked away in a safe since at least the 1950s, and they just opened the safe recently for the estate.  I don't know what they have, but I'm still certain it's not the 1938 book.  However, they go on to say the have around 200 other old comics, all with 10-cent cover prices.  Okay... so now I'm intrigued... forget about the Action #1, they may have an interesting group of other golden-age books.

So I travel way out into the country... about a 60-minute drive.  It's a modest ranch home tucked back in the trees.  I go inside and a whole family is sitting around waiting for my arrival.  First things first... they want me to see their fabulous Action #1.  They bring it from out of whatever sanctuary they store it and hand it to me.  Surprise!  It's the big ol' Treasury reprint.

I'm annoyed not because it's not real... but because they clearly fabricated a story about it's history.  I'm assuming they are going to be enraged when I tell them what it is.  But I tell them.  Now to add insult to injury, they don't get mad, but rather matter-of-factly reply--

"Yeah... that's kinda what we thought."

So by now you're probably remembering that news item from the '90s about the rural Ohio family found slaughtered in their home... no clue as to their killer save one member clutching a crumpled up '70s reprint comic?  No, no, no.  That didn't happen.  I kept my calm.  And I remembered to inquire about the other comics.  "Of course", they said.  So we went down into the basement where they did indeed have what they said (this time)... about 200 10-cent comics divided into a dozen stacks or so.  Again... a bit of a disappointment... no hero or sf books... nearly all Dells comprised of various westerns, Disney, and other humor books.  Not terrible condition, but nothing special... about "vg".  Still... it's okay box-fodder and if I can make a deal, the whole trip won't be wasted.  So I ask what they want for them.

"Oh... these are not for sale.  We just thought you'd find them neat to look at!"

Did a mention that I rarely drive out to look at collections anymore?  

my mom has a cluser of 5$ bills from the 50's she's sure are worth something and somebody from a "coin shop would love to look at them and give an aprasial." I looked one up ebay's completed listings and it much better condition it sold for 7$. My mom is unware she is starting family drama over nothing.

33 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Since this thread has some interesting potential, I'll keep it alive by posting a real one this time.  However... this isn't so much a strange event as simply an annoying one... and one probably similar to many of us.  Now, I rarely go to look at collections anymore, unless it's simply too large a collection for the customer to bring to me.  I buy collections nearly every day, so if I'm out on a wild goose chase with a non-serious seller, I'm likely missing a collection that came into the shop while I was out.

But in my younger naive days I went galloping after collections quite often.  This call was a typical one... we've got Action #1... really really really... the real one!  Now even then I wasn't dumb enough to get duped into this on the surface.  This was in the mid-'90s, and the Treasury-size reprint was only about 20 years old, and you'd get a call like this about every month.  Nobody just has an Action #1 by itself tucked away.  I explained that this was likely the oversize reprint.  "No!  It's literally impossible", they proclaim.  You see, according to them, this book has been locked away in a safe since at least the 1950s, and they just opened the safe recently for the estate.  I don't know what they have, but I'm still certain it's not the 1938 book.  However, they go on to say the have around 200 other old comics, all with 10-cent cover prices.  Okay... so now I'm intrigued... forget about the Action #1, they may have an interesting group of other golden-age books.

So I travel way out into the country... about a 60-minute drive.  It's a modest ranch home tucked back in the trees.  I go inside and a whole family is sitting around waiting for my arrival.  First things first... they want me to see their fabulous Action #1.  They bring it from out of whatever sanctuary they store it and hand it to me.  Surprise!  It's the big ol' Treasury reprint.

I'm annoyed not because it's not real... but because they clearly fabricated a story about it's history.  I'm assuming they are going to be enraged when I tell them what it is.  But I tell them.  Now to add insult to injury, they don't get mad, but rather matter-of-factly reply--

"Yeah... that's kinda what we thought."

So by now you're probably remembering that news item from the '90s about the rural Ohio family found slaughtered in their home... no clue as to their killer save one member clutching a crumpled up '70s reprint comic?  No, no, no.  That didn't happen.  I kept my calm.  And I remembered to inquire about the other comics.  "Of course", they said.  So we went down into the basement where they did indeed have what they said (this time)... about 200 10-cent comics divided into a dozen stacks or so.  Again... a bit of a disappointment... no hero or sf books... nearly all Dells comprised of various westerns, Disney, and other humor books.  Not terrible condition, but nothing special... about "vg".  Still... it's okay box-fodder and if I can make a deal, the whole trip won't be wasted.  So I ask what they want for them.

"Oh... these are not for sale.  We just thought you'd find them neat to look at!"

Did a mention that I rarely drive out to look at collections anymore?  

"OMG this is worth a million dollars will you take cash???!"
Then leave and never come back.

The Action #1 was for sale but these books are really valuable-not for sale.  Yeah that makes sense.  They were hoping for a sucker.

Edited by kav

51 minutes ago, NoMan said:

my mom has a cluser of 5$ bills from the 50's she's sure are worth something and somebody from a "coin shop would love to look at them and give an aprasial." I looked one up ebay's completed listings and it much better condition it sold for 7$. My mom is unware she is starting family drama over nothing.

yeah ,.. you can actually buy sweet looking $100 bills from the 1930's for little over face

100 Dollar Bill 1934 A  Federal Reserve Note  Green Seal  One Hundred Dollars

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

yeah ,.. you can actually buy sweet looking $100 bills from the 1930's for little over face

100 Dollar Bill 1934 A  Federal Reserve Note  Green Seal  One Hundred Dollars

hey anywhere ya can buy hundys for like $90?

10 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yeah sure.... you can buy one of these $100 bills for only $80 US

Image result for canadian 100 dollar bill

:pullhair:

10 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yeah sure.... you can buy one of these $100 bills for only $80 US

Image result for canadian 100 dollar bill

:idea: you can buy one of these babies for 40 cents!!

160504154606-one-trillion-dollar-exlarge-169.jpg