• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Incredible Hulk 181... in fact, give it two grades... as is... and after a press... cuz it sure as hell needs one... EDIt: grade is in...

23 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, oldrover said:

Dunno. I have an Avengers 4 9.4 with rust on the staple. 

how is that possible?

http://www.milehighcomics.com/information/grade.html

This ^ says a comic in Fine condition or higher cant have any rust on even 1 staple.....

" Staples: A comic in Fine can have a little wear around the staples, but no rust, no loose centerfold, no major tearing."

and this isnt the only "site" or grading instructions/guideline that say this...

When I started my guest to go through my collection and grade them...I studied like 10 different grading sites and instructions and nearly all of them said you can have rust on a staple past FINE...

I'm very confused now, I have many comics that IMO are 8.5 or 9.0 that have the slightest of Rust on 1 staple and graded them as 5.5 to 6.0 because of what the Guidelines Universally say...

If you have a 9.4 with rust on the staple, that literally blows a hole directly through damn near every grading instructions/guidelines I've ever read...

for anyone out there who's read this, if you know something I dont know, please fill me in, what am I missing?

how can a comic with rust on a staple be graded higher than a 6.0 if almost every grading guideline says "Fine comics cant have any rust"

10 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

whats the highest grade a comic can get if it has a rusty staple like this Hulk 181?

Rusty Staples: 

Overstreet: some staple discoloration without rust migration allowed up to 9.2.  staple discoloration with slight rust migration allowed in F/VF 7.0

CGC:  I've seen slightly rusty staples without rust migration on a CGC 9.2

Edited by davet75

Major defects: accumulation of color breaking creases on the spine and corners, edge and cover wear with some color loss, and long color breaking crease.  rusty staple and minor rust migration not an issue at this grade.

CGC 4.0

Normally i'd say this would not improve with a press, but there's an example of an FF5 that had a press and spine realignment that reduced the appearance of the spine creases and appeared to actually reduce the severity of the color breaking and the grade looks like it jumped from a 3.0 raw to a CGC 4.0.  amazing work. 

If the same magic can be applied to this book, i'd say a good dry clean could clear up the dirty whites, and a good press and spine realignment will fix the spine roll and may reduce the appearance of the color breaking spine creases.  This could possibly hit 4.5 if you have the same results as the FF5.  Can't say for sure if this would be the case, but check this out and judge for yourself.

9 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

how is that possible?

http://www.milehighcomics.com/information/grade.html

This ^ says a comic in Fine condition or higher cant have any rust on even 1 staple.....

" Staples: A comic in Fine can have a little wear around the staples, but no rust, no loose centerfold, no major tearing."

and this isnt the only "site" or grading instructions/guideline that say this...

When I started my guest to go through my collection and grade them...I studied like 10 different grading sites and instructions and nearly all of them said you can have rust on a staple past FINE...

I'm very confused now, I have many comics that IMO are 8.5 or 9.0 that have the slightest of Rust on 1 staple and graded them as 5.5 to 6.0 because of what the Guidelines Universally say...

If you have a 9.4 with rust on the staple, that literally blows a hole directly through damn near every grading instructions/guidelines I've ever read...

for anyone out there who's read this, if you know something I dont know, please fill me in, what am I missing?

how can a comic with rust on a staple be graded higher than a 6.0 if almost every grading guideline says "Fine comics cant have any rust"

Did you quote mile high comics grading?  FAIL

3 hours ago, Pirate said:

Did you quote mile high comics grading?  FAIL

yes but also specifically noted that I've read at least another dozen or so Grading guidelines that say the exact same thing

Then another poster Quoted Overstreets Guideline saying something similar that Its 7.0....

So I'm not sure if your just trying to be mean here....but I think I covered the bases, I'm in no way saying I'm right, In fact in the post I Literally say "what am I missing"

this wasnt me trying to call the poster out and say "No way your book can be a 9.4 with rust"

I was simply trying to understand Why Guidelines say no rust is allowed over 6.0 to 7.0....but his book got a 9.4....I was curious because If that was the case then I have been grading wrong and wanted peoples opinions here...

if you really want and can look up and post a half of dozen or more other sites with grading Guidelines like Mile High say that the exact same thing so you dont think its such a "Fail"....although I think at this point, The Poster who posted "Overstreets" similar guideline is probably enough ....

IMO a simple, "Hey man Mile High's guidelines are wrong, Here are a better set of Guidelines _____________" would have been the right response(similar to what The Other poster did when he quoted Oversteet's in response)

but its seems you wanted to be mean....

13 hours ago, davet75 said:

Rusty Staples: 

Overstreet: some staple discoloration without rust migration allowed up to 9.2.  staple discoloration with slight rust migration allowed in F/VF 7.0 

CGC:  I've seen slightly rusty staples without rust migration on a CGC 9.2

this may seem like a stupid question(I'm new and inexperienced)

Is there a site out there that shows the difference between rust migration and actual rust on a staple...

Is rust migration, actually rust from the staple getting on the comic or "Browning" of the comic around where the rusted staple is...

thanks for the info

PS....

Also I've seen numerous people say CGC has an archive of Graded comics you can look through and study.....is this true and could you provide a link for me...

or if its not CGC, I would like to find a site that has examples of Graded comics that point out the defects and shows how and why they were graded as they were

thanks

Edited by billbrown7080

14 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

I misspoke. My apologies... the notes say "Very small rust stain in right center of back cover".

I just saw the word 'rust' a few months ago and thought 'staple'. Totally my fault.

I didn't mean to start, nor did I expect... a Spanish inquisition.

2owm84.gif

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

I misspoke. My apologies... the notes say "Very small rust stain in right center of back cover".

I just saw the word 'rust' a few months ago and thought 'staple'. Totally my fault.

I didn't mean to start, nor did I expect... a Spanish inquisition.

2owm84.gif

haha thanks....

I didnt mean to make a big deal out of it, It just totally confused me and Made me wonder if I had been graded books wrong...

I've got a ton of books past 200 that are Near Mint, but have slight rust on 1 staple....and I've grade them all 5.5 to 6.0 because of what most Guidelines say....and when you said you had a 9.4 with rust, I was like damn, I may have A ton of comics graded wrong...

but I complete understand what you mean now and it clears things up for me