• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Computer art value to artist vs. regular art value

44 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

I have had the same conversation twice recently regarding Mike Deodato's art and how much I wish he still worked traditionally. The level of detail and crispness in Mike's older, traditional style was so much more than his current works so I presume that the time invested for him is likely a lot less. It also appears that he isn't hurting for money as he does a lot of variant covers and they would sell VERY WELL if done traditionally on paper but he still opts to go digital. 

I had brought up the subject to Howard Chaykin, who does separate panels and then assembles them in Photoshop. He pointed out how much time it saves and the ease of correcting errors. I responded that his older panels pages made terrific use of borders which he can’t replicate using his current approach. He didn’t disagree, and was a bit wistful, but he went back to the economics of it. So I bought some panels.

10 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

So, if he drew the 22 page book traditionally, instead of digitally you would have bought one DPS. And if he had a 6 or 12 issue run you may have bought one or two other pages.  I don't see how this would be to his benefit. 

Certainly there is a meme that says "Let it go, man", I just don't have time to look.

I think the answer to the question is partly dependent on the amount he gets for pages which he can sell. I would not be the only buyer.

I agree and think that most of the posters on an art collectors message board would still want great physical art to be produced.

One of the downers in my life is asking an artist for art and being told that there is no art.  The first time was when Clayton Crain responded and I didn't understand his email response and I kept looking at the screen trying to figure it out.  At first I mistakenly thought his response was a kind of European insult.  :P

Edited by Peter L

I was flipping through some of Bill Sienkievich's art at the last SDCC.  He is amazing because some of his variant covers are full painted, some are a combination of physical art that he photoshops and others are full digital, but all are amazing.  One of them you would swear that it had to have been distorted on the computer but it was watercolor effects.  When I asked about if particular pieces were physical art or digital or prelims or not, you couldn't tell.  I asked him about some pieces and if they was physical art or digital or both, I got the feeling that he didn't remember either because he has been so prolific especially lately.  

I saw a popular artists latest variant covers which were amazing.  He posted that it was a combination of digital artwork printed, along with paints and pastels.  So maybe this is what the future holds for some artists who want to sell something.  During the Thomas Kinkade bubble, I saw some of his nice artwork prints where for a large added fee, he can add some touch ups and fluorescent highlights that would glow with the correct lighting.