• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And, David T. Alexander collectibles misses the mark again!

33 posts in this topic

COMICS:BETWEEN THE PANELS,While i have heard that is not, an entirely accurate book, what a great read it is IMO!!!! I'm waiting for the sequel myself!! thumbsup2.gif

Is there gonna be a sequel? I sure hope so, I'm always perusing the first book. An addictive read!

I would buy from him again, but always with the assumption that the book will be 2-3 grades lower than advertised - though it's rare that his prices would justify it.

confused.gif

You'd buy from him again,......even though you assume his grading to be 2-3 grades lower than advertised,.....though it's rare that his prices would justify it ?!?

No offense, but..... makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

screwy.gif

I would buy from him again, but always with the assumption that the book will be 2-3 grades lower than advertised - though it's rare that his prices would justify it.

confused.gif

You'd buy from him again,......even though you assume his grading to be 2-3 grades lower than advertised,.....though it's rare that his prices would justify it ?!?

No offense, but..... makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

screwy.gif

Some of the stuff I'm interested in comes around so infrequently that I'm not going to automatically cross overgraders off my list - I'd rather know someone was a chronic overgrader and set my bids and offers accordingly than find out after having won something. At least DTA's scans are usually big enough and his descriptions complete enough that his extemely loose grading is pretty evident. Usually his low bid is still too high, but he sometimes puts up fixed price books with a "best offer" option. I offered 60% of his asking price on a book and he accepted. My offer factored in the probability of overgrading - the book was reasonably packaged and shipped in a fairly timely fashion.

I used to buy from the Comic Heaven auctions that John Verzyl put out - and often found his stuff to be overgraded as well - once again I bid accordingly and still managed to win stuff.

There are also dealers whose material will get a more aggressive bid from me because I find them to be tight graders.

I used to buy from DTA when he owned the American Comic Book Co with Terry Stroud. Fortunately, I could go over to their store on Ventura Blvd in Studio City and see the books, but they both would always claim that the grades of most of the books I bought were higher than they actually were. Still, I bought a Superman 53, Batman 47 and Batman 100 from them. BTW, on a related topic, what do collectors think of Harley Yee's grading--especially when ordering the books "sight unseen".? He is a nice guy and will even send me books to look at before actually buying them. I have a lot of nice books that I bought from him including a 6.5 copy of Action 36 and a beauttiful Showcase 24.

I see where you're coming from, I dread the day that one of my grails shows up on one of my blacklisted dealers list. I'd like to think I'd be strong but I'd probably hold my nose and buy.

Yeah, you and me both. I understand what rjpb is saying but, if DTA ever had a "grail" I want, I doubt the price will be reasonable. Just ask Ian about his "grail" book. I'd rather continue the hunt, but that's just me.

I traded him a couple of nice looking VG+ to VG/FN late issue Shadows that he turned around and sold as raw Fine+/VF books. He made a hefty profit as they sold quickly and I was left feeling that I gave up a few hundred dollars for a slightly overgraded trade item.

Lesson learned

I traded him a couple of nice looking VG+ to VG/FN late issue Shadows that he turned around and sold as raw Fine+/VF books. He made a hefty profit as they sold quickly and I was left feeling that I gave up a few hundred dollars for a slightly overgraded trade item.

Lesson learned

foreheadslap.gif

Harley is a fair grader. I've been happy with the few GA books that I've bought from him. Price is another issue, though. If you're happy with the price, I think you'll be pleased with the condition of the book.

I used to buy frequently from Harley pre-ebay and especially before he had figured out that books like Fight against Crime #20 and Horrific #3 were worth multiples of guide. I found his grading to average out pretty well - for every book I got where the grade was a little soft I got another that was nicer than the advertised grade - he was also pretty thorough in his catalog descriptions regarding listing tape, foxing, store stamps and the like on low-mid grade books where other dealers might just factor that stuff into the grade. You did have to check the books though, as his volume was so high that he or his graders might miss a defect like a clipped coupon on a cheaper book- but he was always ready to take it back, or work out a deal if you wanted to keep the book. Even though I was a fairly small customer - buying maybe a few hundred dollars worth of books a year - he always treated me right - once shipping a $10 book for free after he had forgotten to bring it to a show for me.

Yep, Harley's a good guy. thumbsup2.gif

.....of course there was that one auction with the unslabbed FF #1 which was listed at a higher grade than CGC had given it (CGC G+ 2.5, unslabbed VG- or VG). Still scratching my head over that one.

I agree; the vast majority of books that I've bought from him were accurately graded. Also, if he knows you, he will trust you and send books out before actually paying him. Most dealers I know don't offer that service!

893whatthe.gif Wow, now that is service!