• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And, David T. Alexander collectibles misses the mark again!

33 posts in this topic

Nice hype, but wrong...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Great golden age comic. Ideal for collectors. As far as our research has dug, we have found no other MLJ issue with a violent depiction of Archie on the cover.

Had their research included actually READING the Red Rube story, they'd have realized the character on the cover is Red Rube, not Archie Andrews.

This comic is unique and currently not documented in The Price Guide, but we are forwarding this info to them now. Late MLJ superhero issues are hard to find and this has to be one of the best. Features Red Rube, Steel Sterling, Ginger and Wilbur. Classic Hitler - Hiro splash panel. Looks VG, supple pages, spine has restoration and color touch. DON'T MISS IT!! RARE AND DESIRABLE!!!

(Sorry for posting this in the general forum also, just made me laugh!)

You know, I took a long look at that auction too... I think they mean the fellow on the ground is Archie, not the central figure, though whether that makes this a "unique WWII Archie cover" is up to the bidders I guess.

You know, I took a long look at that auction too... I think they mean the fellow on the ground is Archie, not the central figure, though whether that makes this a "unique WWII Archie cover" is up to the bidders I guess.

But neither of them are Archie. It's the same character, Red Rube. When he yells "HEY RUBE" he transforms into the "super"hero Red Rube. It's just a total crock!

It's either a mistake by an inexperienced hire, or a blatant "this could be big, so get it cgc'd before the market explodes on this book" in order to get more money.Once again an example of what turns me off about the comic market.

Having said that, I can't believe a long time dealer would be that stupid, even one as questionable as Alexander.

But neither of them are Archie. It's the same character, Red Rube. When he yells "HEY RUBE" he transforms into the "super"hero Red Rube. It's just a total crock!

Correct. Here is an earlier version than the Alexander issue.

166_4_43.jpg

I've never bought off of DTA, but his grading does look a little to be desired , from what I've seen!! Anybody here ever dealt with him??

I bought from him once. He called a vg a fine+. When I talked to him he acted like I was a lowlife for wanting to return it. Said he'd been in the biz a long time and had put his kids thru college selling comics. Never bought from again. I'd rather buy from the nice people like Richard Evans or Matt Nelson or Jim Payette or Bob Beerbohm. Life's too short to deal with jerks. I want comic collecting to be fun!

It's either a mistake by an inexperienced hire, or a blatant "this could be big, so get it cgc'd before the market explodes on this book" in order to get more money.

I would say this was an accurate observation, with the blatant "this could be big, so get it before the market explodes" as the motive. I have never read a Red Rube story but, after reviewing this thread and seeing the cover myself, I began to wonder "Hmm. I'll bet this guy is turning into The Red Rube by saying "Hey Rube" just like Billy Batson changes into Captain Marvel by saying "SHAZAM." Now, if I can figure this out in a couple of seconds by viewing just the cover, and they have the book which, if they even bothered to do ANY research (such as quickly looking over the story makepoint.gif) they would realize the character becomes The Red Rube by saying the name !!!

But why do that when you can just suggest this as a violent Archie cover ? 893censored-thumb.gifsumo.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

$$$$

I do not know DTA and have never met him, but judging by his auction discriptions, poor grading & way too high pricing, I don't care for his business tactics. Just MHO.

Just for grins, you should take a look at his responses to negative feedback on eBay; he usually begins it with "I know you're not retarded but,....." which I feel is very poor business practice and shows a lack of professionalism.

I just don't appreciate any of these "fine qualities" in an Overstreet Advisor, or for that matter, anyone in any hobby !!! sign-rantpost.gif

I feel so much better now ! hi.gif

PS: The Last time there was a thread about DTA, Steve B. jumped in and started shouting how wonderful the guy is,.......I just don't see it ! yeahok.gif

Bought my Marvel Mystery #4 from him, low grade but no problems. I have nothing bad to say.

I got a CRIME SUSPENSE #7 from him. It was graded Fine, and that's pretty much what the condition of the book was. Alexander has some interesting dealer stories to tell in the book COMICS:BETWEEN THE PANELS, particularly about large finds, and strange collectors.

COMICS:BETWEEN THE PANELS,While i have heard that is not, an entirely accurate book, what a great read it is IMO!!!! I'm waiting for the sequel myself!! thumbsup2.gif

The Last time there was a thread about DTA, Steve B. jumped in and started shouting how wonderful the guy is,.......I just don't see it ! yeahok.gif

I have to agree with you. I have been following his auctions and feedback left for others and I do not see the exemplary qualities that I would expect in a high caliber dealer. Since he is an Overstreet advisor with years in the business, I would expect him to practice due diligence before making such a bold claim on the ZIP comic. The motives for doing so are suspect. Maybe DTA is just too busy to concern himself with what his employees post under his name. Of course, this could be an isolated event. gossip.gif

Some feedback for DTA

Shipping profiteering: charged $5.00 priority mail, shipped media mail at $1.42

Buyer garygentile ( 829) Jun-04-05 06:09 6960444017

Reply by dtacoll: Jerk rcvd BIG item disc; DID NOT READ TERMS-Complains aft ok 2 bidng agrmt-AVOID Jun-04-05 13:23

Paid day auction ended, Rec'd item 3 days AFTER TOS 6wks. Unprofessional. Avoid.

Buyer evilgeniuscomics ( 21) May-28-05 13:20 6525558305

Reply by dtacoll: I know you're not retarded -we rcvd pymt from PayPal 5/23; You rcvd pkg 5/27 May-28-05 15:41

3 mounths ago i have bought it but it's NEVER ARRIVED! POOR COMMUNICATION!!!

Buyer vocalion5377 ( 274) Apr-28-05 13:21 6512186281

Reply by dtacoll: USPS lost pkg; No Insurance; by bidding you agreed to terms stated on auct page May-27-05 13:51

item has been received, seller just needs to be prompt about shipping

Buyer ointia ( 102) Apr-11-05 09:48 6516086962

Slow to ship

Buyer dempsy ( 38) Mar-31-05 21:25 6512532861

Buyer odd429 ( 43) Dec-13-04 07:25 2284602023

Some delay in shipping and delivery but with FLA hurricane sit'n......OK!! Thx.

Buyer skatergirl333 ( 0 ) Oct-05-04 16:51 2267060932

Reply by dtacoll: You did not read the terms of sale. It arrived as stated. Your mind is delayed Oct-08-04 09:15

Missing pages not noted but seller offered credit toward a future purchase

Buyer classicarchie ( 218) Sep-28-04 21:58 2267210778

Very poor comic for the price.

Buyer rigoletsman ( 125) Sep-24-04 18:35 2267024452

Reply by dtacoll: release your turmoil and learn the grading terminology-book is not very poor. Sep-25-04 09:27

Spotting on the cover made this a poor buy.

Buyer rigoletsman ( 125) Sep-24-04 18:35 2267025014

Reply by dtacoll: I know you are not retarded, but why did you bid when defect is obvious in scan? Sep-25-04 09:31

instead of sending me the comic, seller put it up for sale again

Buyer garyperlman ( 105) Sep-24-04 12:30 2267049293

Reply by dtacoll: did you ever think that I might have more than one copy of this book? wake up!! Sep-24-04 12:47

Now I should mention that I only bought from him once and grades do slip through the cracks every now and then even with the best sellers and dealers, but the nasty and obnoxious way he seems to deal with people through his ebay persona is disconcerting at best.Now he may not even be the one handling the bulk of his ebay sales, but it smells like his 'attitude' and it most likely trickles down through the people working for him. I know Shield and I have both emailed him with questions about MLJ's in the past and I've gotten rude or evasive or smart alecky responses. So I don't deal with him and I'm sure he doesn't care as I'm just a SSD anyway.

I got a CRIME SUSPENSE #7 from him.

How does DTA pack the books? I saw several feedback complaints that books are poorly packaged.

a little bit creased do to the poor packaging.

Buyer endymon32 ( 292)

no longer a registered user Jun-30-04 11:14 2250111976

you bid if you think it's overpriced? Jan-31-04 06:28

Abysmal packaging; shipped pressbook folded in manilla envelope. Ignored e-mail.

Buyer trashfiend ( 2032) Aug-03-01 13:53 1443003934

SEVEN WEEKS to be delivered after much confusion then came folded in a envelope

Buyer vwbugboy70 ( 800) Jun-29-01 20:55 1429263003

Reply by dtacoll: We need a correct and complete address with payment for fastest service. Mar-09-02 05:30

Item ok but folded in half, seemed to take a long time to ship but it made it

sonosam ( 575) Feb-27-01 13:37 1402419391

Item was severly damaged, description did not mention any damage, E-mail ignored

b-boysxl ( 194) Feb-07-01 16:00 543856941

Reply by dtacoll: Damage=car dealer cut folder at top. Very visible in image.

agreed to these terms when you bid. Do not bid if you do not like the terms

NOT FAIR. ITEM AS DESCRIBED, BUT CHARGED$5 S&H, WHEN ACTUAL COST WAS $1.60

bmark99usa ( 320) Jan-26-01 09:45 536818949

packaging could be much improved

vazlov ( 2446) Jan-05-01 14:40 521236228

Item was folded for shipment. I think it should've been kept flat.

chopped-48 ( 65) Dec-11-00 11:42 507000653

Reply by dtacoll: It was folded when we received it.

How does DTA pack the books? I saw several feedback complaints that books are poorly packaged

It's been close to a year since I won the book from him, I don't remember anything special about the packaging, either bad or good. The feedback posted here is pretty revealing. I guess I got lucky! confused-smiley-013.gif

I just bought a book from him. Packaging was fine - no complaints. Shipped media mail, but I don't get bent out of shape about that. The book was advertised as a FN-, with a "small split in the spine". The split was about 2" and in the center of the spine (otherwise a 6.0) - but I expected a somewhat overgraded book based on some of the more obvious examples from the scans in his auctions - so I submitted a "best offer" based on that assumption - it was a fairly cheap book anyway. I would buy from him again, but always with the assumption that the book will be 2-3 grades lower than advertised - though it's rare that his prices would justify it.