• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year end stock market and oil price plunge. Any comic sellers benefitting by it? Hurt by it?
1 1

60 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Too early for me to tell from studying ebay and GP if there's impact, and if so, how much.

My dinky is tingling, but it doesn't feel like it is caught in the zipper quite yet. :D

The comic market always seems to slow down during the November/December run up to Christmas, I don't think Wall Street has much to do with it one way or the other.

But I will say with BDCs and MLPs getting tattooed lately, I've been more prone to stashing new money there rather than into comics.

Edited by mattn792
on vs. one, who wins?

Who knows, if we look back some good times for comics have not necessarily been good times for the stock market. But you have to think people "feeling" rich has to help, particularly for bigger stuff. But maybe folks will go back to collecting stuff other than keys? I mostly got out of the stock market right around the peak in September this year. I kept a bit (15% of total) in , so that has gotten hammered. Should have made a full commitment to get out. I am worried about my mother who, I don't think, acted on my suggestion a couple of months ago. She doesn't have much so a 10% hit is a big deal to her. A little bit problematic is that while Washington is seemingly happy to let the stock market figure itself out (as expected), interest rates are also rising, which is going to hurt housing. I have a HELOC that has exploded over the last year. Thankfully I am fixed at a low rate on my main mortgage.

Edited by the blob

18 hours ago, BanjerD said:

I was a bit surprised that the cryptocurrency market is on a uptick at the moment.  I doubt it will skyrocket like last year, but who knows?

That's what I mean. In a bear market, investors typically explore putting their money into other areas. Wondering if it was being put into comics this time around.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Who knows, if we look back some good times for comics have not necessarily been good times for the stock market. But you have to think people "feeling" rich has to help, particularly for bigger stuff. But maybe folks will go back to collecting stuff other than keys? I mostly got out of the stock market right around the peak in September this year. I kept a bit (15% of total) in , so that has gotten hammered. Should have made a full commitment to get out. I am worried about my mother who, I don't think, acted on my suggestion a couple of months ago. She doesn't have much so a 10% hit is a big deal to her. A little bit problematic is that while Washington is seemingly happy to let the stock market figure itself out (as expected), interest rates are also rising, which is going to hurt housing. I have a HELOC that has exploded over the last year. Thankfully I am fixed at a low rate on my main mortgage.

The return of collecting runs? That would be f-ing cool!

Maybe I should have got out of the stock market, too but I don't know diddly squat about it. My wife and our financial advisor do that stuff. I know our tax guy is always impressed by the actions of our financial advisor and says, "Just do what he says."

My wife and our financial advisor said OK to my big key purchase but the advisor said "no" to the Steve Ditko OA. I still like him. 

Edited by NoMan

I've been wondering the same... historically,  what happened in 2007-2008?

Markets tanked,  what happened to demand and supply for OA?  I suspect demand dried up,  and sellers opted to hold off putting anything worthwhile into the market? I have no way of knowing since i wasn't into buying then.... curious to know from those that were collecting back then, what was your experience.... or even how (if you were collecting then) what you felt about selling or buying in that environment. 

Of course the market isn't the economy,  and this time around we are down (for now)  for very different reasons.  Global GDP being revised down for 2019 and a tariff war isn't the same as a credit default swaps contagion.... but you have to wonder if people are thinking twice before making a purchase, big or small.

5 hours ago, Stefanomjr said:

Markets tanked,  what happened to demand and supply for OA?  I suspect demand dried up,  and sellers opted to hold off putting anything worthwhile into the market? I have no way of knowing since i wasn't into buying then.... curious to know from those that were collecting back then, what was your experience.... or even how (if you were collecting then) what you felt about selling or buying in that environment. 

Of course the market isn't the economy,  and this time around we are down (for now)  for very different reasons.  Global GDP being revised down for 2019 and a tariff war isn't the same as a credit default swaps contagion.... but you have to wonder if people are thinking twice before making a purchase, big or small.

Toss this current partial shutdown into the mix too.  One side may still cave over this weekend, or it could turn really ugly with the new Congress term about to kick off.  hm

On 12/22/2018 at 10:53 AM, Stefanomjr said:

During the 2007-2008 period, as a collector, my first reaction was to put any new money into comics and stay away from the market. I think there was a slight delay between the market tanking and the effect on the comic marketplace. I think around 2009 prices, pretty much across the board, even keys, got soft. I soon realized comics were not the short term safe haven I thought they would be. If the current stock market crash takes down the economy and people start losing their jobs, trust me, comics will get hit. They may not tank, but they will very much soften. People that are currently paying top dollar, top GPA, for key books will get hit the hardest. It's time to be selective and go for valuation plays.  

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

During the 2007-2008 period, as a collector, my first reaction was to put any new money into comics and stay away from the market. I think there was a slight delay between the market tanking and the effect on the comic marketplace. I think around 2009 prices, pretty much across the board, even keys, got soft. I soon realized comics were not the short term safe haven I thought they would be. If the current stock market crash takes down the economy and people start losing their jobs, trust me, comics will get hit. They may not tank, but they will very much soften. People that are currently paying top dollar, top GPA, for key books will get hit the hardest. It's time to be selective and go for valuation plays.  

I think the mediocre average comic books will take the biggest hits. Stuff like AF#15 and Hulk #181s should hold the line and should always have some demand. It`s always been quality over quanity.

With that said it be cool if someone pulled out a Overstreet Price Guide from the 2007-2008 period era and compared the key comic prices to the new Overstreet Price Guide of 2018. Most likely 90 percent of all Marvel/DC keys went up in that time span. I don't think no one in 2008 would have predicted how big the super hero movies would have been, plus Disney buying Marvel and DC now having their own streaming channel.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur