• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Year end stock market and oil price plunge. Any comic sellers benefitting by it? Hurt by it?
1 1

60 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, kimik said:

I know. I just wanted to attract you to this thread..... (thumbsu

I am leaning towards the same decision with my comic collection - dump off a bunch of the long term keepers to buy equities when the dust settles.

I’ll be right here waiting with my catchers mitt

There may be an opportunity to buy quality GA/SA at panic prices.....and if you can buy and hold for 2/3 years after this meltdown you could come out looking very pretty. My advice would be Cap#1 unrestored in any condition, Action 1, Det 27, whiz 2(1), Sup #1 unrestored  with or without cover, Bat#1 restored, and FF1/AF15 restored or not.

10 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ll be right here waiting with my catchers mitt

Sounds good. I am not going to sell at firesale prices, though. The books have value, after all........(thumbsu

Edited by kimik

27 minutes ago, kimik said:

I know. I just wanted to attract you to this thread..... (thumbsu

I am leaning towards the same decision with my comic collection - dump off a bunch of the long term keepers to buy equities when the dust settles.

The question is when will the dust settle...calling the low is just as hard as calling the high....the problem is with the new increased speed of information from the last crash it looks like this next correction will be deeper but might recover faster due to increased availability  of knowledge immediately. My friend called me and warned me that there are a lot of people waiting till Jan2/3 to sell for tax purposes and that if you are going to sell do it now or look for another 10% drop during the first week of Jan....not that he as a crystal ball, I asked him about how bad could it get and he indicated to me another 30% over the next 9 months unless there is some government  crisis and then all bets are off on that low point. It was a great 10 year run...nothing lasts forever....however this could be a major buying opportunity for collectors to trade up. That is my advice doing times of crisis, sell the little stuff and trade up, sell the stuff you don't really need and trade up to something you really really want. Good Luck

Edited by Mmehdy

7 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

The question is when will the dust settle...calling the low is just as hard as calling the high....the problem is with the new increased speed of information from the last crash it looks like this next correction will be deeper but might recover faster due to increased availability  of knowledge immediately. My friend called me and warned me that there are a lot of people waiting till Jan2/3 to sell for tax purposes and that if you are going to sell do it now or look for another 10% drop during the first week of Jan....not that he as a crystal ball, I asked him about how bad could it get and he indicated to me another 30% over the next 9 months unless there is some government  crisis and then all bets are off on that low point. It was a great 10 year run...nothing lasts forever....however this could be a major buying opportunity for collectors to trade up. That is my advice doing times of crisis, sell the little stuff and trade up, sell the stuff you don't really need and trade up to something you really really want. Good Luck

I am not trying to call the bottom - I do not buying on the way down either as long as the dividend yields justify it. When I see stocks with solid financials, good growth prospects, solid cashflows (i.e. utilities, pipelines) and low payout ratios hitting 7%+, it starts to get my attention. Sell comics high, buy stocks low, and then rebuy what you want for your collection down the road. Comics are relatively easy to replace now if you have the money. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who bought a Bat 1, a Tec 35 and one of CC’s mile high Planets in the last 30 days. And a Cap 3 in the last 90 days. 

Good thing my motto is “Buy high, sell low”

Nice haul.

I am not saying comic prices will drop, just that some of the companies I follow/own are hitting the must buy range again. I will just cash in profits on books I have had for a while now to convert into stocks at nice prices.

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

I am not trying to call the bottom - I do not buying on the way down either as long as the dividend yields justify it. When I see stocks with solid financials, good growth prospects, solid cashflows (i.e. utilities, pipelines) and low payout ratios hitting 7%+, it starts to get my attention. Sell comics high, buy stocks low, and then rebuy what you want for your collection down the road. Comics are relatively easy to replace now if you have the money. (thumbsu

that assumes that the book or books will be available which means you take a calculated risk that the book can be replaced. I am suggesting that during the deep recession we are going to go thru that certain material might become available at a price you cannot duplicate when you come out. I think the normal period of recovery we are looking at is 2/3 years so you can sell but I would also look to buy if the price is right and its something that would make your collection a leg up.

Edited by Mmehdy

11 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who bought a Bat 1, a Tec 35 and one of CC’s mile high Planets in the last 30 days. And a Cap 3 in the last 90 days. 

Good thing my motto is “Buy high, sell low”

Please remember your end result is WHEN you sell, so buying high or low is not the major factor , its when you sell, and those book which you put into your collection are all winners in my book, you might need to hold on for a while during the meltdown but at some point those books will cover your costs of purchase and Cap3 I have always liked better than Cap 2. Cong on your great  purchases.

Edited by Mmehdy

24 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Please remember your end result is WHEN you sell, so buying high or low is not the major factor , its when you sell, and those book which you put into your collection are all winners in my book, you might need to hold on for a while during the meltdown but at some point those books will cover your costs of purchase and Cap3 I have always liked better than Cap 2. Cong on your great  purchases.

Thanks for the kind words. What I need now is a time machine 

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

There may be an opportunity to buy quality GA/SA at panic prices.....and if you can buy and hold for 2/3 years after this meltdown you could come out looking very pretty. My advice would be Cap#1 unrestored in any condition, Action 1, Det 27, whiz 2(1), Sup #1 unrestored  with or without cover, Bat#1 restored, and FF1/AF15 restored or not.

Were these books being sold at panic prices in 2009? I don't remember that at all. 2000-2 as well. There was cheap stuff to be had then because ebay opened the floodgates for sellers, not so much the economy. Comics had been in the crapper since we'll before the market crashes. Things actually got better after 2000 despite the stock market, but more likely due to ebay.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Were these books being sold at panic prices in 2009? I don't remember that at all. 2000-2 as well. There was cheap stuff to be had then because ebay opened the floodgates for sellers, not so much the economy. Comics had been in the crapper since we'll before the market crashes. Things actually got better after 2000 despite the stock market, but more likely due to ebay.

I can remember the 82 wish with 18% interest rates and Action 1 and the big books held, 2000/2002 it would depend how quickly you need the money..2009 probably the same thing, lets face it, GA/SA if not as liquid as gold coins which you can take to the coin store and get cash asap.But in any crisis you will personal need  will determine   if  you have to get cash NOW...we will wait and see how this plays out this time, but again if you can sell some the small stuff asap and wait for a big key that you want you might get it at a once in lifetime price

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks for the kind words. What I need now is a time machine 

Great material will always retain demand and value and those are top of the food chain books, I would like to go back too in a time machine many times, how about 1961 when I bought FF1 newstand mint for 10 cents....the key for you is holding power.....

1 hour ago, the blob said:

No, definitely not. Big time keys did not slide in 2009. They are now much, much more expensive than 10 years ago so there might be more resistance to paying current prices with a major market downturn but there was no firesale in 2009... at least not for the top tier keys.

6 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

that assumes that the book or books will be available which means you take a calculated risk that the book can be replaced. I am suggesting that during the deep recession we are going to go thru that certain material might become available at a price you cannot duplicate when you come out. I think the normal period of recovery we are looking at is 2/3 years so you can sell but I would also look to buy if the price is right and its something that would make your collection a leg up.

The stuff I am looking to sell is Silver and Bronze. They are easy to replace.

Someone could have made some money today. Alas, all of my investment money is in a cumbersome 401k type retirement account that does not allow for quick in an out trades. I would have had to put a "buy" order in Tuesday afternoon and hope it got executed before the run up this morning. Not likely. And I can only change my allocation a few ties a quarter. So I sit on the sideline. Anyway, the market needs some bloodshed probably. If it is down 5% on the year that is not such a calamity. Average that with the 2017 gains and it is ok. Averagecit with the flat 2016 and it is less so. Personally, I was thinking of becoming a multifamily landlord in a downtrodden but potentially up and coming area, but all the non risk takers temporarily talked me out of it.

Edited by the blob

An oil drop hurts Canadians, Texans, and a few other oil driven locales, but it helps the rest of us, so I don't think that is necessarily going to impact comic prices. If we have some sort of 10-15% stock correction I don't see it necessarily causing a comic sell off. Theoretically a few retired boomers may sell some comics rather than reducing retirement accounts that have taken a beating, but how many folks sitting upon high end stuff are prone to desperation sales? I see more of a concern when those guys die and their wives or children start putting the collections up at auction every month as collectors in their 70s and 80s die or need $ for expensive long term care. Now, if we have a full blown 2-3 year recession that may be different. 

Edited by the blob